Talk

Advanced search

Where to put mosaic tiles - bathroom

(12 Posts)
amyboo Thu 06-Oct-16 13:32:49

We're redoing our bathroom and shower room. We've found a rectangular white gloss tile we like and some glass mosaic tiles that we like. But, we now need to decide how much/where to have the mosaic tiles. The bathroom is a pretty standard shape and will have the following: bath with shower above and a small flat bit at the end of the bath, an Ikea sink unit with drawers under it, a tall Ikea storage unit, and a tall radiator. The shower room will have the same, but with a shower enclosure with glass door instead of the bath. The bathroom has two windows on one wall, the shower room has one (none are near the bath/shower).

I've attached a photo of the mosaic tile to give an idea of the colours. Walls will be half tiled (except around the shower/bath) and then the rest painted in one of the colours from the mosaic - maybe a green or blue shade.

When we last did a bathroom (+/- 6 years ago) we did a mosaic border about 2/3 up the wall, and then did the entire side of the bath and the shelf bit at the end in the mosaic. This time we can't decide whether to do the same or not. I want to avoid too much mosaic (and therefore grout) in the high use areas - like the shower/s, but DH likes the idea of doing a vertical "stripe" up the wall.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

PinkSwimGoggles Thu 06-Oct-16 13:37:11

ideally not where you get water splashes. think if all the grout that gets grotty.

MrsLettuce Thu 06-Oct-16 13:41:51

Those are very nice but a dark grey grout would look much, much better than the white does. Easier to maintain too.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:35:31

Definitely not as a "border" - much prefer the idea of a vertical stripe but maybe do the shower / bath areas in the plain white and then have something like this - the mosaics behind the sinks?

UptheAnty Thu 06-Oct-16 18:38:18

Just had my bathroom redone & this is where we placed the mosaic!

PinkSwimGoggles Thu 06-Oct-16 18:47:06

we also have them in vertical strips.

Cabawill Thu 06-Oct-16 19:01:07

Can't find any completed bathroom pictures on my phone, but these are when the tiles went up. I think they look nicer in vertical columns. We put ours behind the sink and on the wall the shower is on.

amyboo Fri 07-Oct-16 07:30:55

pinkswimgoggles that's almost the same size white tile that we're going for. Where do you have your vertical strips? I like what you've done behind the taps - is that the bath or the sink?

cabawill I like the strip behind your sink, but our tiles will only go up to 1m50, so I can't decide if the effect would be as good if we did it that way.

Our bathroom is quite big, which is why we don't want to fully tile. I'm just concerned that with the half tile on 2/3 of the bathroom, it will look a bit bland if we don't try and use the mosaic a bit creatively. The shower and taps are on the side wall of the bath, not the end, so we could feasibly do either the end wall mosaic or a stripe up the wall behind the shower/bath taps... What about in the shower enclosure though?

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 07-Oct-16 07:47:19

they are at the foot of the bathtub, so as far away as they can from fresh water.
we have one stripe top to bottom on each wall (so 4 stripes)

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 07-Oct-16 07:47:58

I wouldn't in the shower enclosure tbh

80sWaistcoat Fri 07-Oct-16 08:21:04

We put a horizontal stripe around the bath and so inside the shower enclosure. It's hard to keep the ones in the shower looking as good.

Roomba Fri 07-Oct-16 08:39:25

Oo, I have exactly the same mosaic tiles in my bathroom, with rectangular white tiles. Not at home so can't take a pic, but the walls are half tiled except for around the bath/shower which are fully tiled. The mosaic tiles have been cut so there's a border 3 or 4 little mosaic tiles high that runs all the way round the room, IYSWIM, with white grouting. I didn't choose it, I would have gone for the floor to ceiling mosaic that others have done, but it still looks nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now