Talk

Advanced search

Paint, picture rails and coving

(15 Posts)
jjj789 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:13:14

Hi, i was wondering what current thinking is about painting above picture rails? Do you do the same colour as the ceiling or the same colour as the wall? I tended to think doing it same colour as ceiling might make the room look squat, but grateful for thoughts/advice. Thanks!

jjj789 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:16:05

Forgot to say, we also have coving , if that affects things?!

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 30-Sep-16 18:19:41

If you have coving, I think you can do either. I don't think it makes the room look squat but I think it depends on the colour. It can make the ceiling look further away. We used three shades next to each other on a dulux chart and white on the woodwork / ceiling mouldings (not coving).

HereIAm20 Fri 07-Oct-16 16:53:07

In the living room we have it the same colour as the main wall (skimming stone) with white coving, ceiling and picture rails.

In the bedroom we have it the same colour as the ceiling and woodwork (white).

Pics attached.

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 10-Oct-16 16:55:40

Love the pics above ! Probably not helpful but we put a very bold wallpaper above our picture rail with a very very fine stripe below. Happy to post a pic if helpful

jjj789 Mon 10-Oct-16 17:03:27

HereIAm20 - ooh lovely pics. Both look super smart. Tempted to have a go with F+B colours now as your rooms look great!

HereIAm20 Mon 10-Oct-16 17:41:42

bedroom wall colour is actually Dulux Nutmeg white with brilliant white above rail and ceiling

GinAndOnIt Mon 10-Oct-16 17:45:55

I've done it different colours - so in dressing room I've done Elephants Breath below and Skimming Stone above with white ceiling. Spare room has either French Gray or Skimming Stone below, and white above.

DP says he wishes the whole house had a picture rail as he likes having the different colour above! The rooms above look lovely.

jjj789 Tue 11-Oct-16 09:04:48

Ooh GinAndOnIt do you have pics? I barely have the vision to sort out one colour, let alone two!!

atticusclaw2 Tue 11-Oct-16 09:06:14

We have white on the picture rail, above the picture rails and on the the coving and ceiling. Colour below.

DSs rooms are Navy blue and the contrast with the white looks fab.

GinAndOnIt Tue 11-Oct-16 09:16:39

Yes, hold on!

GinAndOnIt Tue 11-Oct-16 09:29:39

Decorating still a work in progress, but gives you an idea. Dressing room ceiling is really low and I was worried it would make it seem lower, but I think it brightens it up more in real life.

GinAndOnIt Tue 11-Oct-16 10:31:58

Lamp Room Gray and Pointing are two gorgeous colours that go well together.

minipie Tue 11-Oct-16 10:49:51

My preferred option is wall colour above and below the picture rail, then picture rail coving and ceiling all painted white.

however we found our picture rail is quite wonky (not sure if it's due to the house "settling" over the years, or bad installation at some point). So we have had to paint white between the picture rail and coving, so as not to make it obvious. Check yours before you choose!

jjj789 Tue 11-Oct-16 14:36:51

GinAndOnIt - nice!

We've gone for Dusted Moss 3 below and above picture rail in lounge, but haven't put picture rail back up yet (or painted it) so hopefully will look good. Bedrooms I might do a bit of both, as I'm now convinced that either way works smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now