deciding on decor when you have different styles..aargh!

(5 Posts)
ggirl Sun 11-Sep-16 19:54:17

dh has no taste ..my humble opinion wink
we are doing up our bedroom and hall

we have differing opinions on almost everything

i am tearing my hair out..

basically he shows v little interest in home decor so I will prob go for my choice but when someone opposes your choice it's quite hard to make a purchase...
sorry just needed to vent

ChunkyHare Mon 12-Sep-16 11:50:48

I think the best way to approach this is to look at a very wide range of stuff.

We usually start with Pinterest but Google will be just as good. So you do not say anything about your dislikes, only your likes. That way it stays positive.

We also have a "it doesn't offend me" category so if we cannot find something that we love, we go to the doesn't offend section (It is why we use Pinterest so we can pin it on that board rather than scroll through lots of pictures.

I have done interior design so I can visualise stuff whereas Dh can't but we do have very similar taste so it is never really an issue of opposites but Dh gets overwhelmed.

He can walk into a tile showroom like lots of things but struggles to pick one. As we have been together 20 years, my role is to short list my likes, and he picks from that small selection. Win, win.

My parents rarely decorated as they were like chalk and cheese. Horrific growing up in that house.

RaeSkywalker Mon 12-Sep-16 11:57:53

chunky, you've basically described DH and I! He's a designer, so I generally let him get on with things and give me a short list. I say general things- like I want muted colours, so our house is mainly soft greys, greens and whites. I think if he was left to his own devices, everything would be much brighter- but if I chose alone, I'd have white everything with pops of colour- so it's a good half way house.

The "it doesn't offend me" category is pretty much what we do- there's a lot of stuff that I don't really mind about (choosing a cooker hood, or most of the light fittings, for example), so I'm happy to go along with his choice for things like that (he always shows me first to check I don't hate it!) Where I really do care very much, he tends to let me choose what I want, as long as he doesn't hate it (for some reason I really wanted very specific en suite tiles, so the colour scheme in there has been chosen by me).

It works well for us!

WorkAccount Mon 12-Sep-16 12:15:06

I have friends who say "oh it must be nice your OH taking an interest"
no it takes all year to agree on anything, nothing ever gets done, well now I am older i go shopping alone and bring stuff home smile

ggirl Mon 12-Sep-16 12:25:57

In particular I am trying to decide on lighting. I want a big statement light in our bedroom .
The room will be a calm pale blue with a new sleigh oak bed but no other furniture other than beds tables.

He wants a plain shade.

He may be right (not that I will tell him that)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now