Help with en-suite redesign

(14 Posts)
dollylucy Thu 08-Sep-16 18:52:50

New house- ensuite needs redoing.
I think I might be stuck with the layout- it's v narrow- unless I knock the walls down but then you'd have to walk through the bathroom to get to to bedroom. I think that would be OK.
Does anyone have any bright ideas?

dollylucy Thu 08-Sep-16 18:53:50

It's a sliding door in case that's not clear

takesnoprisoners Thu 08-Sep-16 20:12:39

If you want to resell, won't this be a problem? I won't buy a house where i have to cross the bathroom to get to the bedroom. I KNOW that DH will want to get to the bedroom while I take a shower.

dollylucy Thu 08-Sep-16 20:15:40

House should be forever home.

It's just me using the bedroom and en suite

YelloDraw Thu 08-Sep-16 21:31:58

What is wrong with the current layout? Just don't like narrowness?

If it is just you, then do what makes you happy but I wouldn't buy a house where you had to go thru a bathroom to get to a bedroom.

dollylucy Thu 08-Sep-16 21:46:28

It's very narrow, so it's all cramped when you get out of the shower.
It's full of mirrors 😩😳

It's not a great option, but I can't think how to change the layout because of window and door

SanityClause Thu 08-Sep-16 21:49:10

One of those loos with a basin above would give a bit more room.

SanityClause Thu 08-Sep-16 21:50:56

This kind of thing?

dollylucy Thu 08-Sep-16 21:57:34

Wouldn't you have to lean over the loo to brush your teeth?!
I guess I could move toilet so it backs onto outside wall
Then I'd be standing at the side of loo

SanityClause Thu 08-Sep-16 22:23:30

I've never actually owned one of those loos, so I don't know how inconvenient or otherwise it would be.

It would save space, though.

My parents have one that runs water through a tap, when you flush, so you wash your hands under the water that then goes into the cistern to flush it the next time round. It's not in the bathroom though, it's a cloakroom loo.

dollylucy Thu 08-Sep-16 23:04:58

Look at this!
Haha!

takesnoprisoners Sun 11-Sep-16 11:47:12

Go for it dollylucy If it is just you, it makes sense. smile

GinAndOnIt Thu 15-Sep-16 07:35:24

Could you put a sliding door entrance to bathroom where the toilet is, so more 'in' the bedroom? Then block up the other door and move toilet next to basin? Then I think you could leave the door open and if feel like an extension off the bedroom, rather than it's own separate room IYSWIM. If it's just you using it.

Or could you take out the shower and have it as a 'wet end' instead? So just a plug in the floor and shower head on the wall basically. Then you would have no glass doors in there making it feel claustrophobic? You could have a shower curtain across to stop the splashes, but have it open when not using.

Or if the house is an old style, you could have a lovely big Victorian style sink in the bedroom with a big mirror above, like they would have had back in the day. Then that would be one less thing in the ensuite.

I just think it would feel a bit odd to have the bathroom then bedroom. And I wonder if the shower/flush/etc would be noisy for the adjoining bedroom?

dollylucy Thu 15-Sep-16 14:17:58

I think That wall is the original external wall so might be structural, I think that's probably why previous owners didn't do it.
But yes, that would work

a wet room would be a problem with the sliding door where it is, the water would leak out.
But I could move the sliding door further down, opposite the toilet. Then I would have a clear metre for the shower space.
That could be an option

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now