Talk

Advanced search

how good is dulux colour matching, really? (compared to F&B colours)

(9 Posts)
unicornsfunkyfacts Wed 07-Sep-16 21:11:44

I know what F&B colours I'd like in each room, but the cost is horrifying. In all honesty, how close is the paint matching service provided in Homebase for dulux colours?

Mbear Wed 07-Sep-16 23:15:17

We found the colour match to be fine, but the paint is not the same so it was the overall finish that was the issue for us. But I like that flat, chalky finish, not the modern emulsion which may well have been fine. We painted over it with the f&b - the only upside being that we only needed one coat as obvs "the undercoat" was a prefect match!

fruitboxjury Wed 07-Sep-16 23:23:27

I find the lighting has a big impact with F&B paints, it picks up different pigments indifferent lights which is why the colours have the depth they do. It also means they can look totally different in each room. In my experience the dulux colours are very flat, don't have the depth and will not have same effect under light as a F&B paint might do so would get a different effect.

Personally I would always choose a F&B paint for myself (little Greene are also good), but if it's a large area and you're on a budget, dulux is still a nice paint.

If you're colour matching, you will need to buy plenty extra which could increase your cost. If you run out, the next batch mixed could be very different to your first as it will never pick out exactly the same colours every time.

Very clever though

PuraVida Sun 11-Sep-16 08:38:49

I'm converted to colour matching. DS chose paint from the Paper and Paint Library which was £90 a tin shock. Went to Johnstons decorating centre and got it mixed, they tap a code into their computer, you don't need to take in a sample. I painted a block next to the genuine tester and there was no difference whatsoever. None. I feel a total dick for spending ££££ doing the rest of the house now I know

Koala2 Sun 11-Sep-16 13:19:50

You can buy a sample of each and test the effect in your chosen location. I've found it fine.

southwest1 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:22:24

I had Little Greene colour matched in Johnstones and the colour is perfect. Saved a fortune as well. They had all the little Greene colour codes already loaded on the computer.

SerenDippitee Wed 14-Sep-16 11:17:48

ask for the flat matte finish if you go for Dulux mixing. It's not quite as chalky as F&B but zero sheen and looks good.

Rupster Wed 14-Sep-16 13:12:36

Does anyone know whether the Dulux mixing service in Homebase matches to specific F&B colours without having to scan a sample of the colour on a card?

GinAndOnIt Wed 14-Sep-16 17:14:52

I've done most of our house with Dulux colour match. I can't fault it. I've got Dulux version of Skimming Stone next to F&B French Gray, and the texture is exactly the same on my walls. The Skimming Stone and Elephants Breath 'copies' look slightly different in each room too, and change with the light. I've been really impressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now