Very traditional wicker conservatory furniture required

(23 Posts)
BoffinMum Mon 22-Aug-16 20:57:22

I am looking for a set of very traditional wicker furniture for a conservatory that isn't all that big, in the form of what people call a 'sofa set'. I'd like it to seat 6, and probably with two footstools or something as counting as part of that number of potential seats, to cut down on space requirements.

In an ideal world I would have not spent so much time on MN and I would have used the time to set up a business super-conglomerate that had earned me an eye watering sum of lovely money, aching to be spent on Lloyd Loom lovelies. However such is my affinity to MN I cannot now afford this and have to keep to a budget of £700 earth pounds for absolutely everything. And I want it to look like this.

www.holloways.co.uk/138-traditional-willow-range.

Has anyone got any ideas where to look? Oh yes, it has to have at least a couple of chairs in the set that suit people with bad backs.

OlennasWimple Mon 22-Aug-16 21:00:21

Ikea?

OlennasWimple Mon 22-Aug-16 21:06:20

Sorry, posted too soon - Ikea's Arholma range is woven plastic, but looks pretty good and comes in lots of different configurations. The Kunsholmen range is a bit more modern looking

Not a sofa set, but they also have some woven, traditional style chairs that might help?

BoffinMum Mon 22-Aug-16 21:13:13

I think all the IKEA stuff is a bit too modern looking really.

BoffinMum Mon 22-Aug-16 21:13:42

The Byholma chair is really nice however but I am not sure how to turn that into a set.

OlennasWimple Mon 22-Aug-16 21:40:53

No, I find it really annoying when Ikea does one product that is what you are after, but not the rest of the set... Hopefully someone else will have some helpful sugestions soon

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 22-Aug-16 22:05:39

Have you had a look at Ebay.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 22-Aug-16 22:09:53

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wicker-Conservatory-Furniture-/282144744541?hash=item41b123245d:g:smYAAOSw-itXudbL

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 22-Aug-16 22:17:52

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WICKER-CONSERVATORY-FURNITURE-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-BARGAIN-rattan-chair-sofa-/252504509433?hash=item3aca710bf9:g:DWUA

wobblywonderwoman Mon 22-Aug-16 23:00:55

Tesco direct might be worth a try

BoffinMum Tue 23-Aug-16 07:28:28

I think by the time I had got new cushions for the EBay ones it would cost more than a new set tbh. They looked a bit tired.

I will have aloof at Teaco Direct now.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 23-Aug-16 07:48:22

I thought the first sets cushions looked fine.
I will watch the second second set, see how much it goes for, only £21 atm.

BoffinMum Tue 23-Aug-16 08:43:42

It's collection only, and both of them are a long way from me unfortunately.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Tue 23-Aug-16 09:17:15

If try garden centres. Big ones will have tonnes of wicker conservatory furniture in so at least one set might meet your specifications.

Rojak Tue 23-Aug-16 11:38:06

How timely - I came on to post about whether to go for wicker furniture or regular sofas for a conservatory.

I have seen some great conservatory sets on my local gumtree.

Think people seem to be clearing out the wicker sets in favour of the more modern plastic weave.

So have a look on your local gumtree smile

Rojak Tue 23-Aug-16 11:38:32

How timely - I came on to post about whether to go for wicker furniture or regular sofas for a conservatory.

I have seen some great conservatory sets on my local gumtree.

Think people seem to be clearing out the wicker sets in favour of the more modern plastic weave.

So have a look on your local gumtree smile

BoffinMum Tue 23-Aug-16 13:51:31

Gumtree! Inspired!

LizzieMacQueen Tue 23-Aug-16 13:54:54

This is the prime time to buy garden furniture (well maybe in about 3 weeks) as the big garden centres start clearing their displays for all their christmas stock.

FinnMcCool Tue 23-Aug-16 13:56:26

This?

BoffinMum Tue 23-Aug-16 23:01:57

There's some nice stuff on that website in the rattan section but sadly too pricey.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Thu 25-Aug-16 21:20:40

Went for £133.

MiaowTheCat Fri 02-Sep-16 08:28:51

My mum reupholstered a set of cushions on hers and brought them really up to date for pennies - fairly easy job to get someone to make a new set of cushion covers for them... and the sets of that style seem to pop up in our local second hand furniture shops fairly regularly for under £100.

The one thing I'd say is that they're really really not that comfortable compared to the plastic rattan looking stuff... we've got the plastic rattan stuff in the garden and wicker in the conservatory (my mum recovered the chairs of her set and we've got the old sofa) and the wicker really ain't that comfy if you've got a well upholstered backside yourself. Haven't done anything fancy to the wicker sofa - it's just buried under a mountain of sofa throws because we don't live in MN budget land here either!

BoffinMum Fri 02-Sep-16 08:53:18

I had some new cushions made locally for a wicker chair we already have and the cheapest I could get it done for was £100 approx so I don't think that is going to be at all viable. That wasn't even with new foam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now