Talk

Advanced search

Where to look for a child's bed

(7 Posts)
minipie Wed 17-Aug-16 18:02:28

DD is coming up for 4, she's in a converted cotbed but we need that for DD2 so need to get DD her first "proper" bed soon.

Where are good places to look? The places I have thought of are John Lewis, GLTC, Next (?), Mothercare... Where else? Is there anywhere that has a particularly good or bad reputation for quality, as I want it to last a long time and she's not the gentlest of children...

Also - daft question - is a child bed different from a single bed or can I just look at any single beds (would obviously open up the options a lot --possibly too much for my poor fried brain--)

thank you!

5moreminutes Wed 17-Aug-16 18:07:11

You can get a normal single bed for a 4 yo - we move our kids to normal singles at 4. My 5 yo loves his Ikea day bed grin Older kids got bunk bed style beds (not Ikea but local furniture store that sells solid wood furniture - expensive ish but very solid, Ikea bunk beds don't seem that solid) at 5 but day bed is a brilliant long term option.

minipie Wed 17-Aug-16 21:05:40

Thanks! For some reason I never thought of ikea (would prefer wood I think). Confused though - why is a day bed more long term than a normal bed?

5moreminutes Wed 17-Aug-16 21:12:39

Ah no - not more long term than a normal bed - I just meant more long term than a "child's" bed or even a bunk or mid sleeper bed, just because it's more adult / older teen suitable than a bunk bed or mid sleeper (which an adult can sleep in but might feel as if they are camping out in a small child's room) might feel.

If you've got a healthy budget DD got a full size solid wood bunk bed with cushions that allow the bottom bunk to be set up as a sofa, when she was 5 - she still loves it at 11 as the bottom bunk is a place to chill out with her friends and better than an air bed for sleep over friends.

minipie Thu 18-Aug-16 12:34:38

Ah I see what you mean!

Unfortunately I don't think we can go for a mid sleeper or bunk as DD has some slight mobility issues so would struggle getting up and down, at least at nighttime for the loo. So a boring low bed it is, I think. I reckon she'd like a day bed though, and it would stop all her toys and books falling down the side, so will look into those!

FemaleDilbert Thu 18-Aug-16 12:39:42

We just got our dd (4) a single bed with trundle (bed underneath) from here www.easyfurniture-shop.co.uk/children/childrens-beds.html and were pleased with it, they have a decent range, mid-priced

minipie Thu 18-Aug-16 15:30:05

Thanks! Their trundle bed does look nice - and has reminded me DD will want to do sleepovers some day (eeek!) So getting a bed with trundle is a good solution and also helps me narrow the options down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now