Talk

Advanced search

Understairs loo - wall colour!

(20 Posts)
jjj789 Mon 15-Aug-16 12:30:02

Hi, I'm hoping a friendly MNer will have some good ideas here. We have these tiles for the floor www.firedearth.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/375x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/scorreale.png, white toilet and basin, black tap and flush plate... Don't want to tile as the room is tiny (toilet under stairs) and I think it'll be too much, so looking for a wall colour. Could I introduce a colour? Any ideas which one? Thanks!

Agsy Mon 15-Aug-16 13:27:54

White would be too much of a contrast with these tiles and stark contrast makes space look smaller. If you want to make the space look bigger go for stripes in 2 lightest shades of a color. Grey would look good great in this loo, horizontal stripes, about 20cm wide. You dont want all the walls stripey though: the wall behind the loo +/ 5 stripes mid-hight of the wall will do the trick much better. This trick adds "depth"; seems to push the walls further apart. I would also get a mirror/ picture framed in black to balance the black in the tiles.

Rupster Mon 15-Aug-16 14:40:32

I think you could go with all sorts of colours, especially strong ones. I think very light grey would look nice too.

With such a strong pattern, I would go for plain walls.

jjj789 Mon 15-Aug-16 16:12:39

Thanks both. Grey sounds like a good option. Hadn't thought of stripes but will have a look on Pinterest to see if I can find similar. Do you think a splash back or a few tiles over the sink is necessary? Paint and a few pictures/mirrors seems far more straightforward, but don't want to regret not adding a few tiles if splashes get everywhere!

Agsy Mon 15-Aug-16 17:08:41

You need a few tiles! I dont know your loo's layout, if possible opt for tiles in a vertical stripe going from the floor up incorporating the basin + mirror (?) in one neat column, finishing about level with top of mirror or close to it.
You can get tiles as wide as your basin and usually they work well in small spaces but you can also leave the walls one color - a light shade of grey and then opt for small tiles, the size to match the size of pattern on the floor tiles and get them in black and white, like a checkerboard - another trick to make space look bigger. With a plain unframed mirror you could add the same size mirror tiles to the black and white mix, that would look nice too.
And you could repeat that motif on the wall behind the loo - keeping it about 1m high, using bigger tiles. A lot depends on the actual layout - sorry about the length of this post!!

DeliveredByKiki Mon 15-Aug-16 17:14:58

go dramatic and dark - we have a tiny understairs loo and it's dark navy, looks amazing!

jjj789 Mon 15-Aug-16 19:01:51

DeliveredByKiki sounds lovely. is the ceiling navy, too?

Agsy thanks for all the lovely suggestions, am Pinteresting like mad!

DeliveredByKiki Mon 15-Aug-16 19:17:29

Nope, white ceiling and grey tile floor, white toilet and sink

Tried to take a photo but its a bit small to get the effect!

TiffanyAtBreakfast Mon 15-Aug-16 23:49:36

With those tiles (swoon), throwing stripes into the mix in a small space will look wayyyy too busy. I'd go soft grey 100%.

SpookyRachel Mon 15-Aug-16 23:53:50

I'd go for a strong plain colour like Farrow & Ball Arsenic, or maybe Pigeon if I wanted something softer.

OlennasWimple Mon 15-Aug-16 23:57:31

Burnt orange

jjj789 Tue 16-Aug-16 10:42:47

SpookyRachel thanks, interestingly we did consider green subways like this s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/e6/6f/15e66f34e4ef360dcc8e1c7fdf81a857.jpg but thought tiles were too busy, so maybe time to revisit green . Or grey. I do like the idea of grey... OlennasWimple good thinking with the orange too. This has been pinned for a while, so maybe could work it in: www.littlegreene.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Grey-Teal1.jpg
Decisions!

JamieVardysParty Tue 16-Aug-16 12:13:04

Orange would look amazing.

MyCasa Wed 17-Aug-16 20:48:24

We chose Farrow and Ball's 'off black' for one wall in our under-stairs toilet (toilet wall) and then used the wallpaper as the feature. As your tiles are so amazingly distinctive, I agree with DeliveredbyKiki, a dark colour on the walls would look amazing!

Good luck with the project.

eddielizzard Wed 17-Aug-16 20:50:47

i think i'd go for a dark grey. that orange accent on the stairs looks fantastic.

MagentaRose72 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:05:42

Tiffany blue!

jjj789 Thu 18-Aug-16 17:52:49

I'm not sure I'm brave enough for orange, but keen on dark. Thinking maybe Little Greene Canton...

jjj789 Mon 22-Aug-16 09:58:25

So, we went with LG Canton in the end and I LOVE it! Def recommend grin. Thanks all for the suggestions.

SpookyRachel Mon 22-Aug-16 10:06:42

I've just googled Canton and it looks fantastic. Funnily enough I'm about to paint our toilet and am forcing myself to use up a tin of Habitat Olive. It's a lovely colour, but this thread has made me hanker for something very dramatic.

jjj789 Mon 22-Aug-16 10:30:02

SpookyRachel Do it! Also, I must say the LG went on like a dream. Ours is a v small understairs cloakroom. We bought 2.5l of Intelligent Matt but I think we could have just about got away with a 1l tin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now