3/4 year old boy bedroom suggestions

(24 Posts)
MrsNuckyThompson Tue 09-Aug-16 10:13:59

We're expecting DC2, and in preparation are going to move DS1 (3.5) out of the 'nursery'. We'd like to do this before DC2 arrives, so that DS1 doesn't feel like he is being usurped but instead is doing something exciting of his own.

Trouble is, I can't decide what to go with. The room will shortly have neutral carpet and nothing else. I thought about buying a mid-sleeper because by the time he moves in he'll be nearly 4 and I thought it might feel quite exciting for him. I really quite like some of the nautical themed boys' rooms you see - they are easy to do (red, white, blue) and not too whacky. Trouble is, he's not particularly interested in boats or the sea, so I think I'd be doing that for me, not him!!

I'd like to avoid going all out into something very 'boy' like superheroes especially since he's still only 3! At the same time, if we decorate now, he's unlikely to have his room done again until he's quite a bit more grown up so I don't want to lumber him with something too babyish.

Any ideas for something fun, possibly with a bit of colour, which would suit a boy this age for quite some time? Don't have a particular budget and need furniture as well as soft furnishings.

Any ideas?

Icklepickle101 Tue 09-Aug-16 10:20:51

This is before it was finished.

We've added some material to the canopy so it makes the circus tent and I bought a wooden toy chest which I painted and made a cushion seat pad which doubles up as somewhere to read and snuggle. We also bought his name in letters with lights in and added some pom Pom trim to his lampshade and the bottom of the plain blue curtains. A nice rug and a few themed toys on top of his drawers/window sil and I love it!!

CinderellaFant Tue 09-Aug-16 10:22:34

Space themed, or dinosaurs?

NapQueen Tue 09-Aug-16 10:27:54

My son and daughter are going into a room together so we are doing....

Pale grey on the three flat walls
Each alcove (either side of chimney breast) white with a stencil print of a raincloud (in the same grey) with multicoloured raindrops.
Main chimney breast painted one of the raindrop colours (probably teal)
Grey curtains
Sanded floors

Figured if and when it needs to be more grown up we can just paint over the rain clouds.

Dd's bed is the Ikea Kura- low for her at the moment (4) but cam be flipped over with a play area/den underneath.

ComedyWing Tue 09-Aug-16 10:31:05

But why do you need a 'theme' at all? They're just a gimmick to make parents need to redecorate their young children's bedrooms far more often than they would another room! We just moved our four year old DS into his own room, which is just painted white, with one entire wall painted in blackboard paint, so he can draw on it. He has a plain wooden chest of drawers and a mid-sleeper with a 'den' space underneath, a shark beanbag, one of those traffic system playmats on the floor, stripy curtains, a campervan playtent, bookshelves and baskets for toy storage and various bits of his own art and a dinosaur-shaped clock on the walls.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it's a very pleasant room which works really well for him, and which he's very proud of, but it's not 'themed' at all.

ProcrastinatingNow Tue 09-Aug-16 10:32:15

We used this wallpaper on two walls and did the other two a blue/grey (painted). It's been my favourite boys room so far

MrsMulder Tue 09-Aug-16 10:54:25

I love this wallpaper from Laura Ashley www.lauraashley.com/uk/childrens-wallpaper/dinosaurs-wallpaper/invt/3569577 you could have it on one wall with the others a pale green?

MrsGsnow18 Tue 09-Aug-16 11:01:46

Pinterest is fab for children's bedroom ideas to give you inspiration.
I agree with comedywing though that a theme isn't necessary. Your Ds is more likely to grow out of a theme quickly.

I'd prob choose two colours for walls if you want a bit of colour, but keep one finale neutral. Then add colours with bedding etc. ( bedding is easy and fairly inexpensive to change for children) so DS could even chose or help choose his bedding.

Wall decals might be a good option as they can easily be removed when DS out grows them. Must less of a commitment than wallpaper and again maybe DS could help choose ones he likes. A quickl Google for children's wall decals brings up lots of options.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Tue 09-Aug-16 11:05:26

My son has this and loves it once we made up stories about the dinosaurs being his friends. He's 5.

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 09-Aug-16 13:39:44

Oh, I totally agree with the 'theme' point, which is sort of why I'm asking. I was just looking for some inspiration really of options we can go for. Pinterest seems to have a LOT of nautical / spaceship / superhero stuff so was just looking for some other ideas...

Also love that Laura Ashley paper!

bloomburger Tue 09-Aug-16 13:49:10

Aspace do lovely furniture as do Stompa which is fantastic quality.

DS had https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/paperboywallpaper/product/dyathinkesaurusbluewallpaper?forcelocale=en-GB&gclid=CNLVksOutM4CFcGdGwod61EDhA&dclid=CMarcOutM4CFUKk7Qod3EA0w was dreadful to hang (my first try at wallpapering) but he loved it. Then just a brown rug and plain due pale blue bed linen.

Notso Tue 09-Aug-16 14:11:41

In my 4 and 5 year olds room we kept the walls white. The curtains are primary colours and so is the bedding.
I put up lots of frames and slim shelves. When they were very little I put photographs, some prints I liked and pages of broken books in the frames.
As they have grown up I put in pictures they have done, certificates and changed prints to suit their likes and interest.
On the shelves we put favourite toys and books, trinkets, pebbles etc.
White is fab as it is so easy to paint over any marks.

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 09-Aug-16 14:49:26

Thanks! Had seen the Stompa furniture, but wasn't sure of the quality, so good to know that it is good....

notso - you are so right about white walls!

Adsgray Wed 01-Feb-17 01:04:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

minesapintofwine Wed 01-Feb-17 20:33:35

My ds's have the Laura Ashley wallpaper mentioned up thread. I recommend it as it is good quality and fairly washable. However we are just updating their room so sadly will be taking it off soon sad

Andcake Wed 01-Feb-17 20:45:00

Plain with room for things on the walls when his interest develop. We skipped toddler bed and just bought a single bed which is perfect and he's grown into. One addition we did make was London zoo alphabet stickers so he sees the alphabet everyday.

wobblywonderwoman Wed 01-Feb-17 23:21:28

That paper is gorgeous ads

We have all white walls and alice in wonderland blue buntung and a navy wooden sign with the cow jumped over the moon.

One wall is light blue check. It is very plain but think i t will last years.

DixieNormas Wed 01-Feb-17 23:25:48

We haven't really finished the room yet but we did buy ds3 who was 4 at the time a London bus bed which he loves

DixieNormas Wed 01-Feb-17 23:26:54

And here it is

Runningbutnotscared Wed 01-Feb-17 23:34:05

That is a very very cool bus. Where is it from?

Twunk Wed 01-Feb-17 23:39:46

We did our sons' room (they share) with blue paint and green paint and then added a few "space" accessories, those can easily be adapted or taken away as they get older. So a picture, curtains, bunting, a planets mobile and duvet sets with a bit of a theme but not wallpaper or murals. Space is also something they can live with for quite some time. In fact I'd love a space-themed bedroom grin

minesapintofwine Thu 02-Feb-17 10:41:00

wobbly that room sounds lovely, could you post a photo?

Dixie wow to that bed! My dc would love it

DixieNormas Thu 02-Feb-17 12:24:22

Julian Bowen they do some great beds

Twolittlejobbys Thu 02-Feb-17 12:36:58

You could decorate plain and add wall stickers/curtains/bedding of his choice! All reasonably priced and are easily changed. Also yes to the mid sleeper! Kids love them and you can store all the toys underneath so saves a lot of space for playing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now