Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom paint issue

(3 Posts)
PenguinPoser Sun 24-Jul-16 21:02:55

Thankyou in advance for reading and any advice on what is no doubt a boring topic.

Painted the bathroom a few weeks ago. White with one coloured feature wall. Used normal Matt emulsion not bathroom paint. The white is fine but the coloured paint has blistered and flaked all round the top and down the side. Thinking I need to re paint with bathroom paint - but how do I prepare the wall? Currently it's mostly coloured with the areas where the paint has flaked off white. I've tried to sand as much of the flaky paint off as possible but don't want the bathroom paint not to work either!

Rupster Mon 25-Jul-16 10:31:48

I suspect you will need to spend a large amount of time scraping all the flaky paint off. You must get all the paint off or your next paint won't adhere to the wall properly.

I had a similar problem with my bathroom ceiling where the paint started flaking off in patches. I don't think the paint was proper bathroom paint. (The previous owner painted it.) It took me three evenings to strip. Hard work and very messy, but worth it in the long run. Now has proper bathroom paint on it which should handle the damp much better.

TortoiseVTurtle Mon 25-Jul-16 10:36:43

I have a similar problem in the house that I have just bought, I was wondering if I could use sandpaper, then a half paint wash, then bathroom paint. I think that I will have to take it back to plaster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now