Kitchen bifolds to blind or not to blind

(10 Posts)
notdaddycool Thu 21-Jul-16 10:32:31

So we're doing our side return and have decided we'll have bifolds in the new kitchen. We've been told it's an extra £1500 to have Venetian blinds between the panels of glass. Gulp. But other blinds still have a cost. Do you have an opinion on if you need blinds on kitchen bifolds and if you have them (integrated or otherwise) do you ever use them?
Thank you!

ApocalypseSlough Thu 21-Jul-16 10:40:05

Do you need window dressing at all? You won't for heat retention. Privacy? Glare on TV? I'd always go without if possible.

notdaddycool Thu 21-Jul-16 11:41:34

That's part of what I'm trying to work out, I think it might be more cozy with them and adding later isn't an option, but we're not particularly overlooked.

ApocalypseSlough Thu 21-Jul-16 12:00:15

Would it be cosy? I'm trying to picture them! Sorry I'm not much help!
We're having bifold doors fitted and I haven't even considered dressing them. I might regret it if it's too bright to watch TV in that room, although we'll have light from above too, so blinds wouldn't necessarily eliminate the problem!

BeaArthursUnderpants Thu 21-Jul-16 12:43:46

I think it depends how your house is oriented. The back of our house faces west (I think!), and in the late afternoon the sun streams in so strongly that it is quite uncomfortable, and there's no way you could watch TV. It also gets very hot even on cooler days. We finally got curtains and it helps a lot.

ApocalypseSlough Thu 21-Jul-16 13:13:48

I've just googled them and I think they say 'secure ward' more than 'cosy'
Taken from a funny angle so as not to out me, but there's a fine tension poll there. Invisible most of the time but we could dress these windows if needed- I've got v cheap IKEA voiles and I think we last put them up 4 years ago. Total cost £40

EatingMyHat Thu 21-Jul-16 13:26:31

We have blinds between the panels of glass and do not regret it for a minute.

There are non of the ongoing issues of other window dressing, no cleaning wearing, fitting, choosing, updating with decorating etc.
SO if you were going to put anything at the windows I would recommend. However if you don't need to keep the heat/sun/prying eyes out or add privacy or coyness inside then maybe you don't need to spend that money.

notdaddycool Thu 21-Jul-16 14:19:15

Thanks for the answers so far, the other thing I should have asked, has anyone paid for the rubberised door edges to stop children (and dads) trapping their fingers, have fingers even been an issue?

Vdara27024 Fri 22-Jul-16 00:08:45

Hi, for our recently fitted bifold doors and French doors we chose "Perfect Fit" blinds. Basically a white frame is attached to each door (does not require drilling so no permanent damage) and blends in with door frames then within this frame can choose roller blinds or wooden Venetian. Best of all doors open without blinds flapping and it we want to change them at any time in future can! Would highly recommend and look amazing.

kilmuir Fri 22-Jul-16 00:15:48

We have bifolds in our kitchen/ family room. We have dithered over blinds but not put any up so far. But we are not overlooked, apart from some cows in the field

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now