Help me decorate my bathroom

(9 Posts)
fendt Tue 14-Jun-16 11:30:46

Our bathroom looks very clinical at the moment, and we won't be renovating it any time in the next few years, so I would ideally like to furnish it with accessories that will distract from the decor currently, but also match the future decor when we get around to it.

We live in a farm cottage, so nothing too clean and white will work, but the bathroom is currently tiled all over with white tiles, with a sort of beige/cream floor tile. I've tried having dark grey and white towels, but it looked a bit masculine. And I've tried a sort of black and white geometric look with copper accessories, but I think that's a bit modern.

I like a sort of vintage floral look in general, but anything too girly will just be ruined by the muddy farmer!

For the future, I would like black and white tiled floor, maybe in a Victorian kind of pattern or just squares. And I would like panelling on the walls but haven't decided on a colour.

Any ideas (and links?) on towels, bath mats, accessories, blinds etc that could look nice? We don't have a bath at the moment, just a stand alone shower.

fendt Tue 14-Jun-16 11:32:59

Ps, I have looked on Pinterest a lot but I'm running out of inspiration after dressing the rest of the house. I can upload some pictures this evening if that would be helpful

wowfudge Tue 14-Jun-16 12:45:08

Do not have a black and white floor. The very worst combination for showing every speck of dust and dirt and hairs.

Have a mid colour wood tone in something easy to clean.

Any colour you like with the current tiles - try plants and a couple of pictures on the wall to soften things.

fendt Tue 14-Jun-16 12:52:42

Hmm, you may have a point about the floor, although it will always needs constant sweeping and mopping whatever the colour due to the nature of DP's job. I wanted to try and avoid wood look as we are currently re-doing all the floors in the rest of the house as wood. Was hoping for something a little different in the bathroom.

I really can't decide on colour, that's what I need help with. I'm just out of ideas.

JT05 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:35:02

How about a botanical, green plant theme? Prints of ferns, green towels in a couple of shades, dark for blokes, pale for you.

poochiepants Tue 14-Jun-16 19:38:40

How about tongue and groove panelling waist height (roughly) around the whole room?

fendt Tue 14-Jun-16 19:58:02

JT05 that's a really lovely idea.

poochie I love that kind of panelling. I would love it right now but we just don't have the cash for anything big like that for a while yet. I think because the walls are fully tiles, it would be quite a big job to remove and attach panelling.

Here are some photos incase it helps. You'll see what I mean by clinical! I think it's tricky because there's not really any wall space for free-standing things. For example, I love those wooden towel ladders, but I don't really have a wall to lean it against.

fendt Tue 14-Jun-16 20:13:17

I've just found some lovely wooden bath mats which would look great with a botanical theme, don't you think?

I wonder how difficult (expensive) it would be to replace that over-sink cupboard.

everythingsgoingsouth Tue 14-Jun-16 20:24:30

I've just re-accessorised my little bathroom- I've got wood effect vinyl floor, white suite, no curtains.
I got a gorgeous deep orange bath mat, one of those chenille pile ones, matching colour towels, shower curtain in orange/greys/creams.
big orange candles and hand wash/handcream set.
even the teenager DS said how much more cosy it looked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now