Talk

Advanced search

Future-proofing new room for almost 11 yo DS

(6 Posts)
TwigTheWonderKid Mon 30-May-16 23:24:49

DS1, who will shortly be 11, is moving into a bigger bedroom. It's just been replastered and we are starting from scratch with furniture, furnishing and decorations as all his current stuff will be staying in his old room.

Apart from a massive collection of Nerf guns he doesn't really play with toys any more. We'll need something to house the Nerf armoury, quite a few book cases and other smaller shelves or something for his collections of "interesting things".

It's quite a big room so I was thinking of either getting him a double bed or two singles. I guess he'll need a desk for homework etc and more wardrobe space than he currently has.

We don't want to be redoing his room again soon so I'm trying to anticipate his needs as a teenager. What should I take into consideration?

SueDunome Mon 30-May-16 23:32:42

A double bed is a good idea, as boys get very tall very suddenly. A tv is worth considering, as they all play with XBox or PS4s. I'd leave the walls as a blank canvas, so he can make his own mark on it by adding posters/ pictures of his own choice.

steppemum Mon 30-May-16 23:45:03

ds is 13.
he has a decent size desk, and bookshelves for all his school stuff.
wardrobe, with various cupboards and drawers.
A mirror (and place for hair gel etc)
He has a double bed.

he does not have a will not be getting a TV. sorry, but really think teenagers need to have tvs PS4 etc downstairs.

SueDunome Mon 30-May-16 23:58:26

Perhaps should have said my ds is 18. OP said she didn't want to be redoing the room again soon, so I was suggesting the TV as something to consider leaving space for in the not so distant future.

BeautifulMaudOHara Tue 31-May-16 00:02:12

Definitely double bed
Space for tv / PS3
Wardrobe space?
Internet connection

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Tue 31-May-16 00:05:04

Double bed or continental single is a good idea - watching my 12yo shoot up and he's just caught up with me and does not look at al tiny next to DH.

Definitely a desk.

And a wardrobe with a little hanging space but plenty of shelf space. Shelves great for nerf crap, now, but will adapt to other stuff, including, maybe, clothes, as he grows up. Or get IKEA Pax with some deep wire drawers. Good for Nerf. Good for jammies, jeans and mansize sweaters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now