Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Room theme for 2 year old boy

(20 Posts)
mothersandsons Tue 03-May-16 19:07:38

We have just moved into a new house and are planning to decorate our son's first own room.
At the moment, I'm stuck between two themes
- Forever Friends Little Star (already has this duvet)
- Safari (has a table and chair in this theme)

His favourite programmes don't do room decor - Dinopaws and In the Night Garden

I would love to hear to hear your thoughts. Thank you

Salene Tue 03-May-16 19:10:33

I just did my son room as Thomas tank engine as he loves trains

albertcampionscat Tue 03-May-16 19:11:34

www.mothercare.com/Stickerscape-In-The-Night-Garden-Friends-Wall-Sticker-Set/LD8105,default,pd.html

Vaara Tue 03-May-16 19:11:42

Personally I like something classic that will grow with them, so not anything TV orientated.

DD has animals and a vague pink and green colour scheme. The furniture and walls are white to allow for a change of heart if she wants to once she's older.

My friend's son has elephant grey walls, a light grey carpet and a blue boats theme with red accents. It looks gorgeous. I usually find a nice print with animals/boats/dinosaurs/jungle and take it from there. I hate hate hate character bedspreads and wallpaper, but that's just personal taste.

TrappedByTiredness Tue 03-May-16 19:18:22

I did my son's room with colours that can be adjusted easily, so bedding and curtains fit with all the sort of colours that boys like to have, and I can change matching pictures and toys, cushions etc around as they grow older.

ohidoliketobe Tue 03-May-16 19:23:37

We've just done DS' room. Green walls, whitewashed oak flooring, dark stone coloired curtains and walnut furniture so very simple base. Plan to personalise it with bedding and wall sticker mural things of various interests as he gets older to save completely redecorating each time. At the moment it's a jungle train sticker thing off amazon and a jungle themed bedding set from Dunelm Mill.

Twinkie1 Tue 03-May-16 19:36:46

DS had this http://www.paperboywallpaper.co.uk/childrens-wallpaper/dya-think-e-saurus/blue at our old house. Just bought blue bedding and brown accessories. Lasted him from 3 until we moved when he was 7 but he'd have the paper still now at 11 if we allowed it (too costly as his room really large now).

Was a bugger to put up. My one and only wallpaper hanging experience.

I'd avoid crap. TV themes. They bounce from one to the other so easily that one day they'd love it and the next day be onto something else.

mothersandsons Tue 03-May-16 19:37:08

Thank you. Food for thought smile

Twinkie1 Tue 03-May-16 19:37:16

They do amazing wallpaper, not just the dinosaur one.

Pocketrocket31 Tue 03-May-16 19:39:41

My sons room is white walls, plain blue curtains, green light, coloured sockets. With canvass up on the walls, really easy to change with the bedding when they get into something new

Acopyofacopy Tue 03-May-16 19:43:31

I second the fairly neutral colour scheme and personalising it with accessories. Easily changed to different tastes and not too in your face. Pinterest is your friend!

mothersandsons Tue 03-May-16 19:51:21

Thank you for the heads up re TV characters.

The current decor for the room is... pink fairy wall paper on two sides (opposite each other) with pink paint on the other walls.
My plans are to change it to a white/cream with one feature wall. Curtains and light shade to fit the theme of the feature wall.

Are bears to baby-ish for a 2 year old?? Are they too girly??

Vaara Tue 03-May-16 20:16:05

I think bears are sweet and not girly at all (although I avoided girly for my girl as I don't like the stereotype!). I also think that something slightly young is cute when they are older - kind of comforting.

Vaara Tue 03-May-16 20:21:52

Just looking at Etsy and there's not much teddy print stuff that I like.

What I would do though is look for a lovely keepsake quilt that will grow with him. Pick out a couple of the colours and design around it. Then once he's bored of those colours you can keep the quilt and pick different colours from it.

My DS has beautiful (outrageously expensive) bedding with animals on in different colours. At the moment I've used two colours from the bedding for the room but eventually could pick other colours from it, keep the bedding and just change curtains etc for a completely different look.

squiz81 Wed 04-May-16 11:59:05

At 2 I would keep it fairly neutral, it won't be long before he has some strong opinions on what he wants!

We've just done my 4 year olds room, he has marvel comics wallpaper on one wall, and the rest we painted white. I then got a huge wall sticker of a Lego spiderman (it looks like he's crashing through the wall) from eBay. He also picked a huge spiderman canvas from The Range.

My youngest is 2 in June. his room has a bit of a woodland theme, but it's easily changed. We put up a tree wall sticker (from Amazon) it also has birds and other animals. Then he green & cream striped curtains. Those wall stickers are great for quick updates.

Look on Instagram for some inspiration, there's some great ideas if you search #boysroom #kidsdecor

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 04-May-16 12:58:31

Think this is lovely for a little boys room X

attheendoftheday Mon 09-May-16 19:26:19

We have a woodland theme for our dds which would work well for a boy too - plain white with one green wall, big decal tree on the white wall and a big Where the Wild Things Are poster on the green wall.

Jenny1s Wed 18-May-16 22:41:34

Have a look at www.erinsplayroom.co.uk -sells gorgeous soft toy curtain tiebacks in jungle animals!

shanhill Sat 21-May-16 14:01:37

Whatever theme you choose, make sure you use some dark colours with material that is easy to wash.

My little one just turned 4. The last three years were all a non-stop cleaning spree for me.

wobblywonderwoman Tue 24-May-16 02:44:33

we have toddlers around the same age ans we went for a blueish grey check wallpaper on one wall. aged whitewashed chat of drawers.

Very plain carpet and walls.on the other side of the wall Alice in wonderland blue bunring.

in the cots - grey throws and a cushion to match the wallpaper.

it's lovely and clean and timeless. Didn't cost much to do.

grey blackout curtains from ikea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now