Talk

Advanced search

ok a challenge to all you deffo brill MNetters .............. widening a room with paint shades/colours/patterns?

(8 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 27-Apr-16 18:24:16

We are planning the colours of paint and we need to work out how to give the effect of making 2 quite narrow rooms wider?

Using shades or colour

One has a flat ceiling with 2 windows and the other has a sloping ceiling from one side wall to the other iyswim

Should the end walls be a different colour or shade? if so, should it be darker or lighter?

Both rooms have windows at the opposite end to the doors

Don't want wallpaper but don't mind if paint stripes is the way to go

What would you do with the sloping ceiling shade/colourwise ~ same as walls or white?

We would really appreciate your help and ideas

Thank you smile

JT05 Thu 28-Apr-16 19:40:34

In general pale walls make rooms seem wider, as do horizontal lines. Perhaps in the direction of flooring.
We have sloping ceilings in our bedrooms. I have painted the ceilings in a very pale shade of the walls. White seemed too much of a contrast and too harsh.

NancyDecca Fri 29-Apr-16 14:30:23

Normally the advice is to paint the shorter / narrower walls a darker colour and the longer side walls a paler one.

RTKangaMummy Sat 30-Apr-16 01:18:17

You guys are amazing and deffo brill smilesmilesmile

Thank you smile

Yes, perhaps white would be wrong, we are thinking paleish yellow in the sloping ceiling room, which faces East and gets loads of light especially in morning to early afternoon,

And pale green (Apple white) in other room so very pale, we have some willow tree paint too so could put that on short wall opposite door around the window which faces South west as it is like a darker shade of green than Apple white

Thank you once again smile

AlwaysBeYourself Sat 30-Apr-16 01:58:46

I have always used white/cream in my small dark cottage rooms with little Windows. The light bounces around the rooms and feels spacious. I also love mirrors for creating more space

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 30-Apr-16 16:03:30

Placement of furniture can really help too. eg if you can, having the bed across the shorter wall will make the room look wider.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 30-Apr-16 16:05:19

Sorry that's not very clear - I mean a single bed placed against the shorter wall (so headboard against the longer wall)

Still not sure that's very clear hmm grin

RTKangaMummy Sat 30-Apr-16 17:35:24

Yes I get what you mean and we are having our bed with the headboard along the longer wall in the end of the room away from door so one window is at far side of bed the other is same side as headboard

They are quite big windows that take nearly whole short wall and quite big on long wall but can't remember how big

Yes it will have several mirrors around room to bounce light and space about

DH wants it to have some colour rather than white or cream on walls hence why we are compromising on Apple white

Thank you so much for your ideas smilesmilesmilesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now