Talk

Advanced search

Metal/wood bed frame - where from?

(24 Posts)
Trills Wed 27-Apr-16 08:18:32

Slightly inspired by a thread on really expensive beds.

I want a bed with a metal frame. I originally thought wood but I'm now leaning towards metal.

It's all just some bits of metal.

How comfy the bed is will come down almost entirely to the mattress.

So I should just pick a cheap one that I like the look of.

Am I very wrong here?

Trills Wed 27-Apr-16 21:17:44

Anyone want to say oooooh no, different bed frames are different ?

NathalieM Thu 28-Apr-16 16:06:46

I hate to be that person, but it's not entirely down to the mattress wink

Something with slats for example apparently doesn't offer the same amount of support as a frame with a flat base. I'm not sure what those sort of beds are called, but they usually have extra storage and are made of plywood and fabric.

A four poster bed on the other hand is still pricey, but is considered a luxury and still has slats. This type of bed frame also has a name, but I can't recall (again).

For reference, here's a four poster bed with slats: www.andsotobed.co.uk/beds/wooden-beds/four-poster.html

Mostly wooded frame, but still seems similar to what you wanted?

Trills Thu 28-Apr-16 19:15:38

Thanks for replying smile

I don't like/want the kind that are made of plywood and fabric. Divan?

So if I'm down to "a frame with slats" - what makes the difference?

Is it about how many slats? Ikea beds come with with the frame and the "slatted bed base" to choose separately, and more slats = more money. So does more slats = more comfy? (like this one)

ApocalypseSlough Thu 28-Apr-16 19:23:10

Why metal? It's cold if you brush against it even making the bed is uncomfortable and noisy. I don't know whether it's true but I read that prisoners graduate to wooden beds when they're off basic and might have used it as an excuse to ditch dts bunks for wooden ones many moons ago grin

ApocalypseSlough Thu 28-Apr-16 19:24:02

Ah you mean the base. blush
Ignore me!

Trills Thu 28-Apr-16 19:36:41

Because I like how it looks basically.

Good point about being cold.

Wood is still on the table.

Divan is not.

Trills Thu 28-Apr-16 21:28:33

Surely lots of people have beds made of wood or metal rather than divans?

ApocalypseSlough Thu 28-Apr-16 23:28:32

I do!
This one
It was much cheaper through. They always have sales.

madamginger Thu 28-Apr-16 23:37:34

We have a wooden bed frame, when we had a metal frame it squeaked like mad when we were having sex and was very off putting blush
We got it from the mattressman

MiniMum97 Fri 29-Apr-16 00:01:05

I have a wooden bed. Have had a divan and since then always beds with slats and noticed no difference. It's the mattress that makes most difference to your comfort. Have had a metal frame one too. Agree that metal and wood frame beds are not comfy to sit up in (you need lots of pillows/cushions). My friend had a fabric curved slightly leaning back headboard and that was very comfy, cosy and nice to sit up in without having to arrange millions of pillows. I however prefer the look of wooden or metal frame beds so always get those confused

Trills Fri 29-Apr-16 07:39:59

That's a nice wooden one Apocalypse.

Good point about squeaking madamginger - maybe I should lean towards wooden.

MiniMum97 I've had the leather-ish padded headboards before but like you I don't like how they look (I don't like all-fabric dining chairs either).

ChishandFips33 Fri 29-Apr-16 20:21:09

We have both (not in the same room anymore )
I like the wooden one as it brings warmth to the room but the metal frame is easier to make the bed as there's not as much resistance getting the quilt tucked down at the foot of the bed
It does flex a bit when I shift it to hoover retrieve the robot Hoover who always seems to finish under the bed right in the middle out of reach!
We got ours from IKEA but they don't seem to do it anymore

The wooden one is fantastically chunky so needs dusting

Trills Fri 29-Apr-16 23:39:02

Have you tried shagging on both to test their noisiness?

ChishandFips33 Sat 30-Apr-16 01:34:16

Haha! <blushes> The metal one squeaks!

NewStartNewName Sat 30-Apr-16 01:37:11

Not only do metal ones squeak, they are very easily broken wink

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 30-Apr-16 17:02:30

Not all metal bedframes squeak shock Our dcs had cheap Ikea metal bunk beds and they made a terrible racket. But we also have a double bedframe made from iron and it makes no noise at all. Agree it's not that comfy to sit against though - you need a couple of pillows.

I don't like divans. Our bedframes with slats and decent mattresses (Hypnos, who I believe now make mattresses for John Lewis) are really comfortable.

TollgateDebs Sat 30-Apr-16 17:48:07

Have used a metal bed frame and metal base for over 14 years and it is great. Bought from Homebase, plus have also bought a couple of singles from there too, so generally very happy with metal beds. Our bed is very comfortable, with the right mattress of course, brilliant to clean under and has never squeeked! How the frame is fitted together has a lot to do with how it sounds. Fine to sit against with the right pillows, but no bed is great without the right padding. I personally don't like beds that have bases that go to the floor, so this is my preference.

SorrelForbes Sun 01-May-16 18:14:09

We've had the Oliver metal frame bed from Feather and Black for 7 years and it's still as good as new. It doesn't squeak and isn't cold to touch. Sadly, we're actually thinking of selling it now as we're about to move into a very different style house.

RaisingSteam Sun 01-May-16 18:23:26

Choose one that has a comfortable or at least flat headboard if you are going to sit up in bed and drink your tea of a weekend. I rather like the look of ones like this but ouch the price!

Trills Mon 02-May-16 09:53:01

I like that Oliver Sorrel smile No sharp bits to bang my shins on either.

SorrelForbes Mon 02-May-16 10:57:02

It's a lovely bed, and currently on offer too!

Trills Mon 02-May-16 11:00:45

I don't have the keys to my new flat yet so can't get it!

SorrelForbes Mon 02-May-16 11:04:53

Shame! I think they have a pretty permanent sale tbh. If you're anywhere near Hampshire you're welcome to come and buy ours grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now