Talk

Advanced search

Compac Quartz surfaces

(9 Posts)
robyn1987 Sat 16-Apr-16 20:21:46

Hi everyone!

I am having a new kitchen fitted and have decided to take the plunge with the quartz surfaces. I was set to go with Silestone however they did not have a colour I really liked. I have found one with Compac but am a bit cautious as Silestone seems to be the best. I am testing my Compac samples and they seem to be holding up well even to the Turmeric test! I was just wondering if anyone here has had Compac installed and what their opinion is? I'm probably worrying over nothing but would like to hear some first hand opinions.

Thank you in advance smile

pinkerpeony Sun 17-Apr-16 16:43:26

I went through the Quartz conundrum 18 months ago.
We had 6 samples by different manufacturers and did the tumeric, coffee, red wine, lemon juice tests.
The results were identical, none of them stained. The kitchen supplier told me that they're all very similar, it just happens that Silestone is the best known.
I can't even remember the name of the one we went with.
I'm sure Compaq will be just fine.

robyn1987 Mon 18-Apr-16 14:01:19

Thank you so much! I did think I was probably worrying over nothing, but do love a good old worry over most things smile

Samples all came out fine after their tests and I'm really impressed with how they held up, so will go forward with the Compac (or the local supplier who may be a bit more price friendly) and look forward to getting it delivered. I have been wrestling with surfaces since December so it's nice to finally have a decision smile

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me xxx

pinkerpeony Mon 18-Apr-16 14:50:45

Pleasure, ours is white and I'm a messy cook and it hasn't stained.
We do get occasional water marks by the sink but Bar Keepers Friend sorts it .

robyn1987 Mon 18-Apr-16 16:23:55

That's great to hear, our builder has the same and he couldn't recommend it highly enough. The Bar Keepers Friend is already on standby as I use it when the pans need a brighten up and I have the enthusiasm to do it, so the bottle is still nearly full!

I'm having an oak kitchen and think I've decided on the botticino, it has come up slightly different in the samples I've ordered but hoping the sample coming tomorrow will be the one.

Thanks again, I'm getting excited now! smile

Deux Mon 18-Apr-16 16:42:06

As an additional test, try leaving some water on your samples without wiping it up for a while.

I have compac Quartz (Luna) and I'm driven bananas by babysitting it. I have it around the sink and on a large island.

It's never stained but if I dont wipe up water or liquids straight away then I get a sort of shadow mark. Also have to be careful not to use any cleaning products on eg if sprayed on, you'll see the spray marks.

You can only see these marks at certain times depending on how the light falls. We have high, large veluxes and it's the light that comes through these that makes the marks visible. You can't see them in artificial light unless you squat down. There is also tonnes of glass in our kitchen.

The area around the sink must be hellish but I can't see the marks due to the way the light falls there, it's slightly in shadow.

These marks do eventually go but it takes months.

I was wandering around Lakeland one day to see if there was something I could do about these wretched shadow/evaporation marks.

An assistant approached me and asked if she could help. I started to say I had quartz work tops and got no further before she interjected and said, oh are you getting shadow evaporation marks? She said they'd had lots of customers come in about the same thing. So I bought something called Worktop Wonder which masks the marks.

I'd be very careful what cleaners you use. You should only use cleaners that are ph neutral and Bar Keepers Friend isn't.

That was long but cathartic. smile

robyn1987 Mon 18-Apr-16 20:09:27

Thank you for the tip Deux, I have put some water on there and will leave it for a couple of days and see what happens. The kitchen/diner is full of light, there's a 3m kitchen window, 4m bifolds and 2 roof lanterns, one of which is situated directly over the island, so I do need to check thank you.

I knew that you had to be careful but thought BKF would be ok as others have used it with success on here, I could always try on a very discrete area if I can't find anything to work. I will keep a note of the Worktop Wonder and pray that I don't have to use it!

Do you regret going with the Quartz? It sounds as though you aren't best pleased with it, have you contacted Compac to see if there is anything to be done?

namechangedtoday15 Mon 18-Apr-16 23:02:13

That's interesting, I also have Compac Luna and its never marked with water (and honestly, apart from at the very beginning, I haven't been overly careful with it). Also have it in a large kitchen diner with lots of light. I have never used anything other than a spray cleaner on it (PH neutral made especially for quartz). Had it about 2 years and it looks brand new still.

robyn1987 Wed 27-Apr-16 21:43:34

Thank you very much for all your comments, the water test passed with flying colours so I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for it! The kitchen floor went in today so things are coming along and looking forward to getting some paint on the walls and the surfaces in!

namechange and Deux I love the look of the luna, it's gorgeous but OH hasn't gone for it. One of those compromises I suppose!

Thank you again and hopefully this can be of use to someone else smile

xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now