Talk

Advanced search

Alcove Storage in Living Room

(11 Posts)
InformalMother Sat 09-Apr-16 10:31:49

I need some storage in my living room.

We have an alcove that's 200cm wide and 48 deep.

I really like this one with the shelving but I'm just not tidy enough to keep the shelves clutter free!

So I've looked at getting one fully enclosed like in the other photo but I'm worried it will look overbearing in our smallish living room.

I have thought about glass doors at the top but again I'd have to keep it tidy when I really just want to be able to shove everything away...

InformalMother Sat 09-Apr-16 10:32:54

Meant to add what alcove storage does everyone else have? Thanks.

RustyBear Sat 09-Apr-16 10:34:34

Could you have frosted glass at the top - then the stuff inside just looks like vague shadows so if it's untidy it isn't obvious.

wowfudge Sat 09-Apr-16 12:15:11

We have a tall freestanding bookcase in one alcove and fitted shelves in the other, above the TV. We use ours for books. What are you looking to store?

InformalMother Sat 09-Apr-16 13:36:24

Frosted glass is an idea Rusty, thanks.

wow Looking to store a mixture of things. Definitely need some drawers for paper work and also one for hair ties/brushes (I do the kids long hair downstairs every morning/evening).

Also things like our printer, electrical items and just day to day bits that accumulate.

kayessbee Sat 09-Apr-16 16:07:53

Maybe do t make it into a feature i.e. Plain flat doors, soft touch opening, no handles, same colour as walls - then it'll 'disappear' like the rest of the walls

kayessbee Sat 09-Apr-16 16:08:28

That'll be 'don't', not 'do t'.......

InformalMother Sun 10-Apr-16 12:34:50

Thanks, I think we will do it plain and not make a feature of it.

CodyKing Sun 10-Apr-16 12:41:25

Can you get a quote from a carpenter

It will be cheaper and fit perfectly to your design

I love how the Americans do theirs

CodyKing Sun 10-Apr-16 12:42:43

This - more two cupboards

RevealTheHiddenBeach Sun 10-Apr-16 12:47:49

Other option would be shelves with pretty baskets so all the messy clutter is contained - that is generally my go to method.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now