Talk

Advanced search

Small double bedroom, 2k budget, help!

(7 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 08-Apr-16 08:30:48

So we've squirrelled away 2k to sort out our dump of a bedroom. It's a small double room - currently has a fitted triple wardrobe set into a recess, a double bed and cot and room to walk around the bed but that's it. We'll be removing the wardrobe as its horrible and broken. Think we'll need to replace bed as its a sleigh style do takes up more room than it needs to. Thinking a double/King with drawers and getting s double wardrobe to replace triple. Room needs skimming then painting or wallpapering. Carpet dark brown and fine. DH would probably happily have a cream hotel type room. As its our one and only chance to do it I want to create something I love. I really like Moroccan inspired colours - vivid blues/pinks/oranges etc
Where can I get ideas? Anyone any tips on how to create a lovely room on a limited budget? We can do the painting etc and will leave skimming to the professionals! Would those sort of colours be too dark for a small room?

P1nkP0ppy Sun 10-Apr-16 18:24:18

Have a look on Pinterest, you'll be spoiled for ideas op.

Hay135 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:00:43

I would definitely stick to light colours we painted our white bathroom blue and was shocked by how dark it made it! If your looking for a good deal we got great quality matching bedding and curtains for cheap from https://www.juliancharles.co.uk/ if you sign up for newsletters they send you offers all the time so you get a bargain wink

Herschellmum Sun 17-Apr-16 11:13:10

I have an old house that had loads of damp issue, hews have mostly sorted it by taking it back to brick using some damp product and then relaying the wall and using damp proof plaster board. In some rooms where there has been little damp or damp we just used damp proof or polystyrene backed plaster board, in one area the builders didn't use the plaster board as it was an alcove with build in cupboard and just skimmed the wall (like they did all my internal walls) and within 18 months the plaster is breaking away and there are signs of damp again.

I only say this because I don't want you to skim your walls thinking that will cure it and then in 2 years time have the same issues.

Although if you're 100% confident it's cured then hopefully that won't be an issue.

As for colours, I tend to go for lighter colours in smaller rooms, but depends what you want, I think it's totally acceptable for bedrooms to be darker because that's more romantic.

Our guest room has white walls (silk) and a blue back wall with seaside accessories and is beautiful light and airly for a smaller room. Our room is plum, with silvery and plum curtains, and fancy lamps. It's much more bold, the walls are like a light cookie dough (but that rooms 25x25 feet ... So I want it make it seem smaller.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:04:03

Yes, definitely do-able for your budget. I would get rid of a dark brown carpet - if its a small room you can probably get a roll end or an off cut which would make a big difference to the overall feeling of light / space - I really think dark brown would be too much with bright colours on the wall.

Look on houzz - tons of ideas. Lots of people rave about PAX wardrobes at IKEA (don't have them yet but considering them for our new bedroom, with doors from a local timber merchant). We also got a new bed recently from M&S and a mattress from Laura Ashley - think the bed was 50% off in the sale and the mattress was 70% off. Just keep your eye out for bargains.

DoItTooJulia Fri 22-Apr-16 10:10:09

Id be tempted to go for neutral paint colours and then add the morroccan touch with bed linen/lampshades/cushions. That way if you tire of it you can change it cheaply enough.

YY to bargain shopping, I got my bedroom curtains in the John Lewis sale:they were a steal.

I also bought a second hand PAX wardrobe and it's great, like new and I have added the right combo of drawers etc for us.

I'd be tempted to change the carpet too. Like PP said, if it's not a huge room, you'll get the end of a roll of good quality stuff cheap enough.

Have fun, I love this bit-it's the building work I hate!

HereIAm20 Sat 23-Apr-16 18:43:25

Houzz and Pinterest are your friends! Type in different ideas such as small double bedroom or moroccan double bedroom and save images you like. Then look at your saved images snd you have a mood board. When i redid my bathroom and kitchen I did this as I thought I didn't know whst I wanted. The images I had saved had a recurring theme and I realised I did know after sll!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now