Talk

Advanced search

Decorating a shared room for children with VERY different tastes

(5 Posts)
Sootica Thu 07-Apr-16 21:30:31

9 yr old and 6 yr old share (both girls). The room is set up is a bunk bed on one side and toys, desk, storage on the other. It would be v hard to them to each have a side of the room due to already having large storage units and the bunk bed set up. DD1 likes very pretty things and has not yet grown out of dolls. DD2 is a massive tomboy (has dressed as a boy for around a year) and into superheroes and cool dude stuff. Help! How can I decorate so that they both like it. They get on well so no problem with them sharing. We hope to move in about 2 yrs time but they need to share til then.

Lweji Thu 07-Apr-16 21:37:17

I'd make it fairly neutral. Is there a colour they agree on?

And concentrate on bedding to match their tastes. Possibly in a similar colour scheme, so it doesn't clash that much.

You could also have two different sets of rugs and curtains and change them every month to suit each alternately.

Sootica Thu 07-Apr-16 21:42:23

I will never get round to changing curtains monthly although it's a nice idea!
Hmm yes good idea about neutral and choosing a colour they both like. Maybe stencils in a similar colour scheme on the bit of wall by each of their beds?

Lweji Thu 07-Apr-16 23:43:40

The stencils are a good idea.

Although I've shared a bunk bed with a sister and sometimes we swapped beds. So, I'd think something less permanent by the beds, just in case.

Cressandra Fri 08-Apr-16 17:55:22

Stickers/stencils round their beds is a great idea. Plain curtains or something neutral like spotty, and duvet covers, a decorative cushion, maybe a reading lamp each to their own taste.

It might be difficult to pick a colour both would like though. White/cream would cover it but we actually went for creamy light blue when we did a shared room for boy and girl. Blue for "sky" with clouds painted on, and hot air balloons and biplane stickers. You could add more girly bits like butterflies, or more neutral kites/balloons/trees. But at 9 and 6 they might just prefer plain and putting their own stamp round their beds.

You could also look at ikea, both child and adult range ofduvet covers, rugs etc - they're pretty good at gender neutral stuff though I'd have thought your two would be outgrowing some of their kids' stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now