DFS Sofa Odour

(7 Posts)
WooWoo1000 Thu 07-Apr-16 13:51:23

Having just read some old posts about poor customer service from DFS I felt compelled to share our experience to warn others! We bought 2 leather sofas from the country living range which gave off the most horrendous toxic smelling odour. When we reported this they sent out someone to have a look but he said that all new sofas smell like that and was disinterested in the fact that I was pregnant and worried about the effect of breathing in the odour. To cut a long story short we couldn't use the room for over a month whilst everyone I spoke to passed the buck (customer service line said to take it up with the store we ordered from, store said to talk to the dispatch depot, and back and forth like that). We told them we would take it to the ombudsman if not resolved which seemed to worry them a bit and they gave us a partial refund (still lost £700). I now kind of wish we had gone to the ombudsman but I was getting so stressed with the situation, that I decided it would be better for my pregnancy to just draw a line under it and get the sofa out of the house. So please be warned before buying from DFS - they really don't care once they've got your money.

C0C0 Thu 07-Apr-16 13:58:21

Not sure you are on the right thread OP but thanks for the advice!?

goddessofsmallthings Thu 07-Apr-16 14:04:57

I suggest you report your post and ask mumsnet to move it to a more appropriate board than Relationships as I read your title as being your dear father's, or dear friends, 'Sofa Odour' and was expecting to read an OP about their poor hygiene or incontinence medical condition which causes the sofa to emit an unpleasant smell after they've lolled on it. grin

WooWoo1000 Thu 07-Apr-16 20:31:40

Oops, thanks for letting me know - not sure how that happened, thought I was in the consumer products area!

dasso Thu 07-Apr-16 20:36:35

Its just VOCS coming off this is one of the reasons I choose to recycle and not buy new as everything new will omit these chemicals, new cars are notorious for it hence the new car smell which actually is really bad for us. Hope you have not a new car op too, maybe you are noticing the smell more as your are pregnant and have a heightened sense of smell.

WooWoo1000 Fri 08-Apr-16 13:37:23

We were going to get a new car and carpets but decided against it based on reading up about VOCs after the sofa fiasco! We've now bought second hand sofas and covered them with throws. I'm sure my sense of smell has been heightened by pregnancy but that just goes shows how much 'stuff' is being emitted into our homes without us realising normally.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 08-Apr-16 13:42:11

That smell went away after a couple of weeks on ours. Fine now! Great service and love our new beast of a sofa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now