Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tile help needed pic included

(12 Posts)
NorthernBird92 Tue 05-Apr-16 13:44:46

My kitchen tiles are horrendously awful as you can see. We aren't homeowners and can't rip them out some -idiot- previous tenant has put black fablon on the cupboard doors not even a nice black an awful Matte plain thing anyway any advice what I can do to these?
They go all around the kitchen around 300 ish small tiles in total I'm guessing tile stickers or paint ? How much of a nightmare is it to paint tiles I'm guessing I'd have to do it really carefully to miss grout ect?
I maybe completely wrong and sound stupid any help grin

firsttimekat Tue 05-Apr-16 15:40:17

If you aren't the homeowner, I'd assume you can't do anything without checking with them first.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 05-Apr-16 15:52:06

A few years ago I used white tile paint on some tiles in a rented house.
It was a pain to do but because it was white, it didn't matter about avoiding the grout. The finish wasn't great, you could tell they had been painted, even after a couple of coats. Also cover everything in dust sheets.

You can re tile in rented accommodation but clear with landlord. They're usually keen on home improvements unless it's an Elvis mural or something.

FrizzlyAdams Tue 05-Apr-16 16:08:23

You should be able to take the fablon off quite easily too and replace with a nicer one.

NorthernBird92 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:48:38

Thankyou ..
And yeah it's rented but its army housing so we can paint them within reason and that's a good idea ilostit I may just pain them white although I wanted to do like a gloss colour...
frizzly where's good to buy fablon do you know?

FrizzlyAdams Wed 06-Apr-16 08:46:51

*Northern,
I've got Fablon from Amazon before, there's loads to choose from.

I recognised the metal runner handles on the bottom of your kitchen cupboards as being from a beautiful married quarters kitchen!

There's a FB group called "ideas on brightening up armed forces quarters" which used to be quite good.
It changed to a secret group though, so you need someone to message admin to add you (do a shout out on FB for anyone that might be in it).

Also "DIY on a budget" is good too.

NorthernBird92 Wed 06-Apr-16 08:52:19

Oh fab Thankyou! I'll try Amazon and I'm guessing places like home base and b n q ...
Yep last quarter had a brand new kitchen and the last few before that the kitchens were modern this is something else black fablon cupboards green tiles white awful worktops it's beauuuutiful grin

FrizzlyAdams Wed 06-Apr-16 10:05:35

Just had a quick look on the brightening MQ FB page (have not been on there for a looong time).

Apparently fablon comes off quite easily and just washed with soapy water your cupboards will be back to original state.
Putting fablon on is a lesson in patience!

Some people have painted their tiles, some have used tile stickers.

Think you need to ask CA what you are actually allowed to do though tbh.

NorthernBird92 Wed 06-Apr-16 11:03:24

I need to be on the quarters page I'll ask someone from quarters r us to add me later...
Thanks for the tips I dread to think what's under the black fablon 😷
When we moved in I rang CA and they said I could do what I want and it would be assessed at pre March out with is 4 years away ...
I just have no idea how I'd paint the tiles a colour and miss the grout it'd take me years to do each individually. I'll come up with a plan
Thanks for the help

MyLlamasGoneBananas Thu 07-Apr-16 10:23:08

I saw that photo and thought surely that's a quarter. No one else would have that look!!grin
That fb group is v good for ideas but don't get too carried away cos most of it has to go back to looking cap when you move!!

NorthernBird92 Thu 07-Apr-16 10:34:32

I wish I could show you exactly how bad it is ...
Green tiles black cupboards White worktops and the cupboards are older than me!!
I rang CA and before I change it a surveyer has to come and asses it!
I don't understand how the last people passed March out !

NorthernBird92 Thu 07-Apr-16 10:35:09

We've had a lot of quarters and I can honestly say I have never had a kitchen like this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now