We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this mirror nice or naff?

(17 Posts)
jemster123 Mon 04-Apr-16 12:18:24

Just as a bit of background - I am decorating my living room to look really tasteful (hopefully!!:-) giving it the feel of a living room in a Victorian terraced house with plain painted walls and light painted furniture, wooden floors etc.

I've been looking at photos of the type of mirrors that are usually over the fireplace in this sort of room but I can't afford the one I want. Some of them are not quite so traditional and a bit quirky and the contrast with the rest of the room can look quite good but I think this is risky.

I saw this mirror in Dunelm and liked it straight away. It would be put on a plain slate blue painted wall in quite a small room but I really can't make up my mind if it's just plain tacky or not?

What do you think?

Many thanks smile

HawkEyeTheNoo Mon 04-Apr-16 12:20:13

I like it, it's different but I wouldn't have said it was Victorian style

redhat Mon 04-Apr-16 12:20:44

Im not keen personally but its difficult to tell without it being up on the wall. Can you buy it and see how it looks in the room?

redhat Mon 04-Apr-16 12:22:07

Its definitely not victorian style

OTheHugeManatee Mon 04-Apr-16 12:22:43

Can you post a pic of the room?

TBH I think it's a bit tacky though. If you're going for a simple, classy look then this is not the mirror for you.

NetballHoop Mon 04-Apr-16 12:24:55

I like it. But it's a bit hard to imagine how it would look without a photo of your room.

jemster123 Mon 04-Apr-16 12:30:06

thank you guys, I do appreciate your answers. The mirror I really want is something like this one but the cheapest price is about £100 and just not possible at the moment. The room still isn't done or painted but in progress.

I seem to have two sides to my personality and am drawn to the conventional and sensible but also to wacky and quirky. I thought as I can't have the mirror I want at the moment this might be a different twist but I fear that the reality is it's a bit tacky.

HawkEyeTheNoo Mon 04-Apr-16 12:44:51

I like that one!! Much more fitting with what look you're trying to achieve.

jemster123 Mon 04-Apr-16 13:55:49

thank you also prefer it

redhat Mon 04-Apr-16 14:01:25

Wait and get the one that is right for the room rather than picking a fall back which doesn't work.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:26:36

That style comes up on Ebay all the time.

slicedfinger Mon 04-Apr-16 16:30:14

Here's one on eBay for £50! Gold Mantle Mirror

Kenworthington Mon 04-Apr-16 16:31:55

Second one is a million times nicer. I think the first ones nasty sorry

potap123 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:34:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

absolutelynotfabulous Mon 04-Apr-16 16:34:51

I actually prefer the first one. I think it would look great against a very dark wall, but I'd keep the rest of the look plain as I think it could look ditsy otherwise (unless that's the look you want, of course).

I think overmantel mirrors can look a bit meh, tbh.

Jeremysfavouriteaunt Mon 04-Apr-16 16:37:22

I think it would look great on a dark grey wall or similar, I like something that goes against the expected decorating rules for period houses.

Tartyflette Mon 04-Apr-16 16:39:24

The first one has too much surround and not enough mirror. Unless it's really huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now