Talk

Advanced search

Very pale wooden flooring - are we mad?

(9 Posts)
fancyacoffee Mon 28-Mar-16 15:25:21

We're close to choosing our wooden flooring for a large extension (kitchen, seating area, utility room, downstairs loo and entrance/hallway - 160 square meters in total). Our preference is a very pale oak colour (ash/white). There is some graining in it and a few knots, but I am so worried that I will constantly be cleaning it (2 kids and a dog). I was wandering if anyone has this flooring and whether it is actually practical or not in real life? Thanks x

fancyacoffee Tue 29-Mar-16 15:33:59

Anyone? We have to make our final decision today on this so appreciate any thoughts. Is very pale wood prone to staining (say, dark fruits brig squished into it or red wine for example?). Thank you all!

wonderpants Tue 29-Mar-16 15:36:36

I have white laminate in the bedrooms and it shows every bit of dust and dirt!
But it is quick and easy to clean!

wonderpants Tue 29-Mar-16 15:40:22

Actually, kids and dogs in a well used room! Yes, that is mad!

Tubbyinthehottub Tue 29-Mar-16 15:40:40

You will be constantly cleaning it but there's no getting away from cleaning a big kitchen floor unfortunately, whatever the colour.

BitchyComment Tue 29-Mar-16 15:44:26

What material is it? A lot of woods yellow. We had very light wood (I think it was birch) and it stayed clean and clean looking for years despite kids and heavy usage. The varnish was very strong.

A smooth finish will stay a lot cleaner looking than a rougher finish. My oak floors still look fantastic and they are 5 years old. Even the ones in the hall. They are yellowing with time but still look good. They were expensive though.

BitchyComment Tue 29-Mar-16 15:45:35

Won't food/pee or whatever get in the cracks? I would be wary about wood in the WC and the prep area of the kitchen.

GiveMyHeadPeaceffs Tue 29-Mar-16 16:27:45

I've got pale, solid oak flooring and it does need cleaned quite a bit but it's also lovely and bright in my kitchen and living room.

fancyacoffee Tue 29-Mar-16 17:09:07

Thank you so much everyone. It's oak flooring but in an ash/white colour. Thanks for the tip about the loo/wee - hadn't thought of that - ewwww! I think perhaps I'll change the loo flooring and make sure I get it varnished. It looks so nice, I can't resist getting it! Any other thoughts welcomed xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now