Talk

Advanced search

Urgent query re underlay for laminate flooring!

(4 Posts)
cmor01 Sat 26-Mar-16 07:41:44

I'm having 9cm Balterio laminate flooring put down (in a top-floor ex-council flat) at the end of next week . . .
The council requires that the underlay be at least 4mm thick . . . I ordered this one

www.amazon.co.uk/75m2-Deal-Novostrat-Acoustic-Underlay/dp/B00EZMXJ3O/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458977897&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=sonic+gold+royake

which is 5cmm thick and gets good reviews, but I have since seen a another kind in a flooring shop which looks much better quality to me.

The one I bought online ("Sonic Gold", made by Royale) feels quite light and spongy (it's made of foam), whereas the one I saw in the shop feels much firmer and more substantial (a bit like a mouse mat in texture).

I'm now worried that, because of the underlay I chose, the flooring will turn out to be noisy and I'll have to take it up! (Which would be very problematic - it's being laid under kitchen units and skirting boards.) Does anyone have experience of Sonic Gold underlay? Should I do a bit more research into this and perhaps buy an alternative asap? Any advice gratefully received!

GlitteryFluff Sun 27-Mar-16 19:28:22

I'm bumping this as I'm in the same situation as you (council/top floor/don't want to have to rip it up) and the gold stuff looked like the best bet whilst online but haven't seen any in real life.

coily Sun 27-Mar-16 19:36:40

I don't know what we used now but it was thickest possible underlay we could get at the time - in short, don't even try and do laminate in a top floor council flat.

Unless you want to put thick rugs all over and hide it

TremoloGreen Sun 27-Mar-16 21:38:53

The one you've linked to is a perfectly good underlay but more suited for ground floor - you don't need a DPM. Look for Duralay Silent Walk or similar/ You don't need a thick, spongy underlay with laminate as you don;t want it to flex, it;s not like carpet underlay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now