My lounge looks so bare! Help with cushions (pics)

(17 Posts)
Wellhellothere1 Fri 18-Mar-16 11:55:08

As you can see from the photos my lounge looks really bare and boring. I'm so indecisive and have been looking for nice cushions for years (honestly). I was thinking of getting teal blue/green cushions to cut through the brown shades but I'm really stuck. Lots of cushions cost a fortune so I don't want to make a mistake but happy to pay a bit more for lovely, good quality cushions. I'm aiming for the boutique hotel look but currently very far away from this!

dogsnotsprogs Fri 18-Mar-16 11:59:48

It looks like a hotel!

Cushions would make it more 'homely'

I think a lime green colour would work really well with the brown!

NoSquirrels Fri 18-Mar-16 12:03:20

You've got an amazing painting there - pick up on the shades & patterns in that (stripy from the woman's skirt), blues & greens. Get cheap ones, experiment, then buy nicer ones when you've sussed what works.

Do it!

GibbousHologram Fri 18-Mar-16 12:06:45

I love your fireplace!

Teal would be good - they're a bit ubiquitous so you can get them everywhere (I know this because I have them) but you could also add more browns and beiges with different patterns or textures. I bought some great ones quite inexpensively at homebase recently.

I'd probably be looking at putting something interesting at either end of the mantelpiece or standing on the hearth. (Assuming you don't have dogs/small children.)

MackerelOfFact Fri 18-Mar-16 12:08:46

I'd be tempted to go with a mismatch of Indian-inspired patterned cushions in teal and gold. They'd go well with the furniture and the painting. Gorgeous room!

MackerelOfFact Fri 18-Mar-16 12:11:06

I love this one, for example: www.redbubble.com/people/micklyn/works/13153037-mint-and-gold-effect-diamond-doodle-pattern?country_code=GB&p=throw-pillow&size=small&type=cover-only&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_medium=google_products&utm_source=google&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzq63BRCrtIuGjImRoIIBEiQAGLHdYcHdXxGW1eHHOJF5mrSxwDRPnr4zkABRWufM5UpmPAQaAnzZ8P8HAQ

ImperialBlether Fri 18-Mar-16 12:18:32

A big picture above the lamp on the first photo would look really good.

Wellhellothere1 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:11:42

Thanks all. There's so many cushions on that red bubble website! I love the one your suggested mackerel. I'm off to do some shopping.....

WellTidy Fri 18-Mar-16 14:17:53

It looks really nice. I love the picture too, I love art on a big scale. Choose a colour and then buy cushions with that colour and texture in them. So that they're not matchy matchy, but they all sort of go. John Lewis, Laura Ashley, Next and M and as are all good for this.

FishOn Fri 18-Mar-16 14:20:21

I think a vase of flowers and a small pretty houseplant would soften it a lot. Lovely room though

loveisagirlnameddaisy Fri 18-Mar-16 14:21:39

It looks lovely already; I'd add more art on the walls, a rug and maybe a throw as well as the cushions. Think about mixing up texture as well as colour. Velvet is great for this and a look that would go well with what you already have.

WipsGlitter Fri 18-Mar-16 14:25:59

Lovely room, our house has a similar look and i also think it doesn't look right / lived in!! Where did you get your side tables from???

Wellhellothere1 Fri 18-Mar-16 16:07:27

Wipsgliiter the side tables and coffee tables are from Willis and Gambier, the Escana dark collection. I think they are discontinued now as we got them years ago. Similar to the Sonoma collection in Marks.
I've spent all afternoon looking for cushions (I need to get a life I know) and am loving this Aloriam range on Etsy
www.etsy.com/uk/listing/268747131/aegean-blue-velvet-pillow-cushion-zipper
and
www.etsy.com/uk/listing/237562433/jacquard-paisley-damask-medallion-aqua
www.etsy.com/uk/listing/262475759/designer-faux-crocodile-aegean-blue

So similar colours and mixed textures as suggested by loveis.

Thanks all for the advice!

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sat 19-Mar-16 16:30:16

Forgot to say, I always think that books and trinkets add character to a room and make it feel less like a show home. You can do it stylishly without looking cluttered.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sat 19-Mar-16 16:31:24

And family photos and a standard lamp (or two!).

ScarlettDarling Sat 19-Mar-16 16:34:29

I think your room is beautiful. It's incredicbly tidy in that picture, (is it always?) and perhaps that's why it looks a little bare?

But yes, a splash of colour to pick up on that stunning painting would bring the room to life.

Wellhellothere1 Sat 19-Mar-16 19:21:40

Scarlett-lol yes it's always this tidy as we hardly ever use this room. We have a family room off the kitchen which we live in so very rarely use our lounge. However if it was more honey I think we would spend more time in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now