Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

a cabinet for a tv - is yours in one?

(10 Posts)
Europeshoe1 Mon 14-Mar-16 14:09:44

I quite like the idea of putting the telly in a cabinet so I can shut it away! Hate that it's always there. Because of my room layout the big sofa points directly at it

Does anyone have a cabinet? Or think it looks crap? Or do you have another idea to 'hide' the tv? I need something that's about a metre wide, or more

I imagine putting photo frames on top

SenecaFalls Mon 14-Mar-16 14:20:00

The big one in our family room is out and proud. It sits on a pretty pine re-purposed sideboard though. In our bedroom we have a smaller one in an old linen press with doors that close.

Tiredbadger Mon 14-Mar-16 17:54:44

I stayed at a hotel a few years ago that had the tv hidden in a framed mirror. When the TV was off you couldn't tell it was there. It looked very smart (in my opinion).

MissTurnstiles Mon 14-Mar-16 21:22:51

Cabinets to hide TV are awful. Really bourgeois, Hyacinth Bucket, doilies and antimacassars.

The best way to reduce the impact of a big telly is to paint or paper the wall behind in a dark colour to minimise the contrast.

BananaPie Mon 14-Mar-16 21:23:55

Just get a smaller telly?

SenecaFalls Mon 14-Mar-16 21:28:54

Cabinets to hide TV are awful. Really bourgeois, Hyacinth Bucket, doilies and antimacassars.

Leave it to MN to make it a class thing. smile

MissTurnstiles Mon 14-Mar-16 21:30:28

more of an aesthetic than a class, Seneca smile

QueenOfTheHighCs Mon 14-Mar-16 21:31:40

MissTurnstiles erm,not if you've got a bit of style!

SenecaFalls Mon 14-Mar-16 21:40:04

But since bourgeois means middle class, then a middle class aesthetic, right? But then again I'm American so what do I know about class? grin

Europeshoe1 Tue 15-Mar-16 00:07:11

I like the idea of the wall being darker behind the tv but I live in a rental so can't paint the wall and the telly is currently on a 50s style teak tv cabinet/stand thing so would that work anyway?

Love the tallboy but doubt I could get one big enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now