Talk

Advanced search

Bay window help!

(15 Posts)
MrsWhirling Sun 13-Mar-16 17:13:12

I have a bay window that goes directly into the ceiling (pic) attached. I want to buy curtains - is this possible? Is there such a thing as a bay window curtain pole, that also fixes into the ceiling??? I've been looking on the Internet and haven't found anything so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

justaweeone Sun 13-Mar-16 19:18:20

Sorry can't see pic

redcaryellowcar Sun 13-Mar-16 19:34:17

You can ceiling mount quite a few curtain rails. I was looking recently and I'm pretty sure John Lewis had a selection, but we didn't need them as have coving so would mean a big gap between window and curtain.

MrsWhirling Sun 13-Mar-16 20:07:11

Sorry, not sure the pic is clear.

venys Tue 15-Mar-16 01:00:25

We have the same and installed Silent Gliss ceiling mounted rails. John Lewis will come and measure your bay for you as the poles are bent in the factory and it can be tough measuring yourself. We did msnage to install ourselves. Not cheap though but the quality is excellent.

theladycarolineno Wed 16-Mar-16 15:44:49

Bay windows are tricky blighters but there are lots of ideas you can use to tackle it! A combo of roman blinds and curtains is a good way if you want to block out light and have more privacy at night. Single curtains are an easy solution too. There are loads of ideas here www.housetohome.co.uk/articles/how-to-dress-a-bay-window_440086.html - maybe one of these will work for you? smile

MrsWhirling Thu 17-Mar-16 15:54:57

Yes they areconfused I actually have Roman blinds and was going for the look in pic1 of that link, but as an added complication, the curtain rail has to be attached to the ceiling as there is no wall between the top of my bay and the ceiling x

Nuttersoutside Thu 17-Mar-16 22:06:18

Screw batten into the ceiling and then mount regular curtain track onto front face of it. V cheap and easy.

CarolineBrophy Fri 18-Mar-16 12:33:02

I had pretty much the same, and decided to get shutters. It works really well and look fantastic. It is a bit more expensive though, but I think it's worth it because they last smile The best part is that the compay does all the work for you as well, you just have to be home. I did a lot of research with different companies and ended up with plantation shutters ltd who was just amazing. I wasn't sure at first about shutters, but they helped me and I couldn't be more happy smile smile

WellTidy Fri 18-Mar-16 14:32:46

I have this in DS' bedroom. I bought a silent gliss track and my dad fitted it. He said it was really hard as it went round the whole bay. I would get an j dependent window dresser to do it if I ad another one as my dad us too old to o things like this now. Maybe contact a local shop that sells curtains or curtain fabric, as they will either do this themselves or have contacts.

kayessbee Sat 19-Mar-16 09:01:25

I agree with Welltidy, go to an independent then they'll not be tied to using only one track supplier. You can get top fix tracks, and for a bay they should be bespoke made - by that I only mean bent to the correct degree at the correct points. An independent will probably take more care over measuring that. Unless you need to I probably wouldn't batten first, it just adds to the weight pulling on the ceiling.....

VulcanWoman Sat 19-Mar-16 09:06:47

My bedroom bay window has a curtain track fitted to ceiling. You don't have to go all expensive, Wilko do curtain tracks that are wall or ceiling mountable, and are bendable.

VulcanWoman Sat 19-Mar-16 09:16:25

This is my curtain track for bay window.

MrsWhirling Sat 19-Mar-16 16:04:11

That looks perfect vulcanwoman!

itshappenedagain Sat 19-Mar-16 20:59:26

I got mine from john lewis, measured it myself and took me 30 mins to fit. Still up 5 years later, and my curtains weigh more than me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now