Talk

Advanced search

what would you do with this fireplace?

(13 Posts)
RavioliOnToast Fri 11-Mar-16 16:00:19

We're waiting for our new house to go through, however I took more photos when there today because when we get the keys were handing our notice in for our current place, giving us a month to decorate and move.

So advanced prep leads me to ask what would you do with this fireplace? We want a grey and navy/plum sitting room we have oak furniture that I was considering painting with chalk paint? But not sure which colour yet.

MissSueFlay Fri 11-Mar-16 16:23:24

I would go contemporary, remove the fire & surround and put in a wood burner keeping the whole thing plain.

RavioliOnToast Fri 11-Mar-16 16:31:40

I love the wood burner idea, initially though we just want to move in, leave it as it is bar painting/ wallpaper and new floors etc so I need a short fall idea for now

VulcanWoman Fri 11-Mar-16 16:32:01

Is it a gas fire? How much do you want to spend?
What about the chalk paint in cream/beige to match the marble.

yomellamoHelly Fri 11-Mar-16 16:37:35

I would paint the fire surround and replace the hearth with a rectangular slate one. Also tile over the marble on the wall with some plain tiles. (Was quite cheap when we did this.)
If money were no object I'd agree with what Miss SueFlay suggests.

wonkylegs Fri 11-Mar-16 16:38:25

What about just painting the wood grey like this pin.it/C285yvS for now?

JT05 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:54:46

DS and DIL had the same fireplace. They just painted it white, until they can afford to change it. It seemed to make the marble effect not so strong. Looks fine.

wowfudge Sat 12-Mar-16 08:29:05

I'd use primer and satinwood paint on the fire surround. It isn't difficult or very time consuming. A small tin of satinwood will be plenty. Far more durable than chalk paint without having to wax or varnish over the top. I've twice painted a fire surround and it made a huge difference.

DurhamDurham Sat 12-Mar-16 08:34:47

I'd paint it for now, you can get textured paints which might bring it up to date.

We had a fireplace like that once and it was a v happy day when we finally had enough money to pull it out.

Waitingfordolly Sat 12-Mar-16 08:45:20

We had one like this. We tiled the marble in cream and navy tiles and painted to wood cream. It was okay is about all I can say. Better but not the fireplace of my dreams!

RavioliOnToast Sat 12-Mar-16 09:33:23

I don't mind the marble I don't think, I'll attach a photo of the whole wall- in the alcoves I want coloroll feather wallpaper in grey, I want a grey paint for the rest of the chimney breast and the wall opposite this one is the window wall, which will be grey with purple/navy on the other two walls. I don't even know if purple/grey would go?

WicksEnd Sat 12-Mar-16 11:26:43

Do you mean you want purple/navy on opposite walls? That might make the room feel very dark and closed in. But I might have misunderstood?

RavioliOnToast Sat 12-Mar-16 12:33:30

Yeah that was what I meant I think. I have no idea...

I want someone to tell me what to do with it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now