Talk

Advanced search

Please critique this colour scheme

(16 Posts)
whataboutbob Tue 23-Feb-16 20:50:40

This is for a small 3 bed flat which my Dad rents to students (he's too poorly to manage it now so i do it). About 3 years ago I got builders to redecorate, i suspect they used cheap paint, it is not too attractive and i want to repaint this summer (the bedrooms, bathroom and hallway) to freshen the place up. I have decided on something fairly neutral, i am thinking of doing the hall 2 or 3 tones darker so maybe Egyptian cotton, and almond white/ natural calico in the bedrooms. Then something like a pale aquamarine in the bathroom. Does that sound OK?

wowfudge Tue 23-Feb-16 22:28:37

Sounds far too classy! I remember a floral patterned bathroom in one of the houses I lived in as a student.

whataboutbob Wed 24-Feb-16 14:12:34

Just trying to give the place curb appeal (or the interior equivalent thereof!).

wonkylegs Wed 24-Feb-16 14:30:21

It sounds fine but I suspect that it really doesn't matter what you do for that particular tenant group as long as it's clean and tidy, as it will need redoing regularly and is just a background to their own taste (students are usually good at sticking their own stamp on a place) . You might want to stick to cheap and cheerful - this is what brilliant white and magnolia were invented for.
Personally i'd save colour schemes for another time.

Rupster Wed 24-Feb-16 14:53:47

I would go for magnolia and then white in the bathroom. Will cost less and look absolutely fine. The students won't care that much about colour schemes: they'll be much more concerned with the flat's location, cleanliness and cost.

Clockworklemon Wed 24-Feb-16 14:59:14

Egyptian cotton is a lovely colour (most of my house is painted this colour!) it hides scuffs, marks, especially in the doorway, I think it's more practical than say magnolia.

Clockworklemon Wed 24-Feb-16 14:59:37

Sorry meant to say hallway

whataboutbob Wed 24-Feb-16 21:26:22

Thanks everyone for your pointers it's good to have your contributions. If Egyptian cotton hides scuffs sounds like a winner!

DoBananasWearPajamas Wed 24-Feb-16 21:28:44

just go magnolia, you're over thinking it

kayessbee Fri 26-Feb-16 20:39:06

I'd just do a durable white everywhere, then the renter can fit in their stuff more easily - loved in a house painted mostly green in NZ to reflect the beautiful trees surrounding it, but hated it....! Longed for white walls for 3 years.....

kayessbee Fri 26-Feb-16 20:39:53

Ooh, meant to say "lived in a house...." - oops....

whataboutbob Sat 27-Feb-16 17:15:02

Thanks kayessbee, but they are students and don't usually do any decorationg. I thought something with a bit of warmth would be good. if I was renting to professionals I'd definitely do white.

IShouldBeSoLurky Tue 01-Mar-16 00:24:17

I had almond white in my old 1-bed flat. Absolutely loved it, it's a great colour - neutral but not too warm. I'd probably go for a plain white in the bathroom though.

friendissues1 Tue 01-Mar-16 00:38:20

It's nice to see a landlord actually giving a shit! I hate magnolia op, it's awful. Would have hated it when I was a student too. I think that when a loan do

friendissues1 Tue 01-Mar-16 00:39:02

*lamdlord makes an effort to make the place nice then the tenants are more inclined to treat it well

Your idea sounds good op

whataboutbob Tue 01-Mar-16 17:56:07

Thanks for your encouragement friendissues1. i do take the view that if I am going to take their money ( on my Dad's behalf) I should make the place look as nice as possible and of course comply with all the regulations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now