Talk

Advanced search

Grey carpets

(9 Posts)
KittyOShea Sun 21-Feb-16 15:42:05

Hi

We are putting a grey carpet on our hall, stairs and landing. Still trying to decide between a darker grey (which I'm afraid would be too office like but would be easier to keep clean) or a lighter grey (which is nicer but less practical)

We live in a semi so area is not very big and doesn't have a lot of light.

Am going to try to attach pictures of carpet samples below

So which would you go for and what colour walls? Am reluctant to choose white walls as I'm afraid it would be cold.

LettuceLaughton Sun 21-Feb-16 15:45:57

The darker grey! It's not really very dark at all (at least it doesn';t look it in the photo). But, I'd never ever put a carpet in a hall again, hard flooring of whatever type is always more practical.

KittyOShea Sun 21-Feb-16 16:55:23

Thanks lettuce. What colour walls would you think other than white?

wowfudge Mon 22-Feb-16 07:59:08

Get a sample and try it in different places as the light can be quite different. But I agree you will probably find the darker one isn't actually all that dark when on the floor. Perhaps a sage green or grey/purple paint on the walls, but beware making it too dark.

Monica101 Mon 22-Feb-16 11:58:29

I have grey carpets on the stairs and bedrooms, I have neutrals on the wall, a pale grey, a hint of pink and whites.

I prefer the darker one, the other is almost white and will be a nightmare to keep looking good. The other is a nice shade of grey, quite warm imo.

KittyOShea Mon 22-Feb-16 12:38:52

Thanks all smile

Definitely the dark grey it is then.

Will have to experiment with a few tester pots for walls. I like the sound of the sage green and pale grey.

emmal1981 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:26:21

I have the light one on the stairs and in the 3 bedrooms. it's a year old now and still looks clean. we do take our shoes off in the house though and I think in a hallway it may start to look dirty fairly quickly. it does look lovely in our house, the only issue is that small bits of black sock fluff really show up on it... i have to crawl around once a day and pick them up!
For the walls we have a slightly off white colour, we originally had a cream colour but it looked horrible against the grey, so I would avoid any whites with yellow / cream undertones. x

emmal1981 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:31:06

we used deluxe white mist paint in the end and it looks nice x

MrsJayy Tue 23-Feb-16 12:34:30

I have a darker grey carpet than that with flecks going through it doesnt look officey my walls were meant to be mauve but ended up looking lavender i was initially annoyed but i like it now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now