Talk

Advanced search

Replacing sofa cushion covers

(4 Posts)
DeeLite Mon 15-Feb-16 08:03:35

I have this sofa from Habitat. I want to change the cushion covers so it matches our new colour scheme. As you can probably see from the photo, there's no proper re-upholstery involved - I just need new cushion covers.

Where do you think I should start looking? Do I need a dressmaker or an upholosterer? There are eight cushions....will it cost a small fortune? I'm keen to recycle the sofa in this way rather than get a new one as it's in perfect condition. I can't sew darn a sock by the way so please don't suggest to me I do it myself!

HereIAm20 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:11:39

I was going to say can you dye the covers but the saw they were leather. I have successfully dyed covers before in the washing machine. As you say not really upholstery so a decent dressmaker/seamstress should be able to do it (or friends who can sew?). I would ask for a quote from the seamstress first and then you will have an idea of what your fabric budget will be.

AlisonWunderland Wed 17-Feb-16 14:17:44

I would normally say upholsterer for complicated shaped cushions , but your cushions look very square and straightforward, unpiped.
A decent curtain maker could do those.
A dressmaker could too, but curtain makers usually have machines that can handle heavier weight fabric
Quite a straight forward job as they have old covers to use as pattern

DeeLite Wed 17-Feb-16 20:31:42

Thank you - this is very helpful.

Hereiam, the photo I picked was the first one that came up on google images but mine are actually dark brown linen. I now want blue covers so dying is definitely worth a try. Nothing lost if it doesn't work as I am definitely changing them even if paying a curtain maker etc to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now