Talk

Advanced search

Would love to hear from those of you who have had a new kitchen and / or downstairs extension in the last year or two...

(8 Posts)
geegeeW Sun 14-Feb-16 17:53:49

Hello!

1. New kitchen people - any top tips to share of what you're pleased with / regrets / extra things to think about...

2. Does anyone have an L shape space with a kitchen in the corner of it - that you'd be willing to share pics of ...of how the space works.

3. Anyone got white handleless kitchen units with light wood worktop that you'd be willing to post a pic of.

4. Anyone got a white sink?How are you getting on with it? Does it stain easily?

I don't ask much do I??!!

tia

geegeeW Mon 15-Feb-16 12:58:00

wee bump

TheLesserSpottedBee Mon 15-Feb-16 14:16:47

I don't know if you have already been on the Property/Diy board but there was a thread about the lessons learned in having a new kitchen which did include extensions.

Link to the thread here

My own kitchen extension was in 2013. My biggest piece of advice is work out what you won't compromise on and what you will.

We have all drawer units meaning I can reach stuff at the back of cupboards without having to move anything out of the way or reach for. So crockery is easily accessible by just opening a drawer.

I knew where all the new sockets were going to be including those hidden away for the dishwasher/fridge freezer/microwave/hob/oven etc etc.

geegeeW Mon 15-Feb-16 14:25:33

excellent! thank you for he link- will migrate over there. cheers.

BlueCowWonders Mon 15-Feb-16 14:57:55

That other thread is fab, but to quickly answer your Q4 - yes I have a white sink and loathe it! I managed to scratch it badly in the first week and it never looks nice.

Lilacselarina1 Fri 19-Feb-16 20:57:10

Kitchens -wot I have learned!

Space for recycling & food waste/compostables so it's hidden away
Plenty of sockets - a pull-up socket on a kitchen island
Built-in microwaves are all rubbish & expensive
Large fridge
Cupboard or tall pull-out cupboard with space high enough for cereal boxes
No tiny stupid cupboard-door bin - just get a big good looking one
Measure up so you have space for any larger items (bread maker, mixer, larger chopping boards, big Tupperware!)

123rd Fri 26-Feb-16 00:59:33

Hi.
I can pm you a few pics...we do have a white sink. A granite composite. It's fine. Chuck everything down it-love red wine and black coffee and it hasn't stained permanently. And use cif on it to wipe over. And then every so often half fill the sink with diluted bleach.

Winniethewylde Mon 29-Feb-16 16:27:11

Hi there. I had mine done last year. Big extension, walls knocked down etc. I have a white sink and love it. Although I managed to chip it a week after having it sad So easy to clean with Cif and no stains.

I wish I hadn't had black matte granite work tops though. Looked stunning at first but the limescale is building around the sink and it's starting to look noticeable now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now