Advanced search

Decorating advice please!

(3 Posts)
shonalynn Mon 01-Feb-16 11:51:01

Having moved in to our new home, we are just getting round to decorating.
Many of the rooms seem to have lining paper on them, but there are visible gaps between the strips. Is there any way to fix this? Or do I just need to strip it and start again? I intend to paint these rooms rather than wallpaper.
Also, all the woodwork is yellowing gloss. Do I need to sand this before painting again? I intend to use satinwood as I prefer the finish.
Thanks for any help. smile

wowfudge Mon 01-Feb-16 12:41:12

Use decorator's caulk and a wet finger to fill the gaps.

For the woodwork, Zinsser BIN primer is really good. You don't have to sand and can use water based satinwood afterwards. Other posters will now pile in and say you must sand, etc, etc, but I've used it a few times and it has worked well. Dries in 45 mins so you can prime and give two top coats of water based paint in a short space of time.

shonalynn Mon 01-Feb-16 13:30:42

Thank you so much. I'll give those a try!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: