Ideas for paint schemes and curtains/blinds to update this country kitchen?

(19 Posts)
Achingallover Thu 28-Jan-16 12:08:32

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do here to an update please? It's a country house, room faces the sun. I seem to be going around in circles .....

Afishcalledchips Thu 28-Jan-16 12:51:16

I think that's the same kitchen we had in our old house!

Would you consider re-tiling the splash back? A plain light cream colour would look nice.

Then light sage coloured walls and neutral or grey/green blinds.

Maybe large picture/mirror or something behind the dining table as that wall looks a bit bare?

Afishcalledchips Thu 28-Jan-16 12:55:39

these colours?

3catsandcounting Thu 28-Jan-16 13:01:06

Yes, agree with fish - definitely blinds, new tiles, different lighting would make a big difference (halogen spots?) but is £££s.
Colour-wise, duck egg blue, with white woodwork? I would paint the dining table & chairs too - possibly pale grey & white? and a big mirror or picture/canvas on the back wall.

Loveleopardprint Thu 28-Jan-16 13:07:01

It all looks a little bit orange. Could you change the curtains and have a table cloth/seat cusions to tone down the pine. I also think a painting on the wall by the dining table would be nice.

7to25 Thu 28-Jan-16 13:10:27

I agree with painting the table and chairs as there is a mismatch/clash with the kitchen units.
The curtains would look better as blinds or Roman Blinds. They could be a print as this is the only print in the room and then a bit of colour on the walls.
The small inset tile clashes in style with the kitchen.

Achingallover Thu 28-Jan-16 13:13:50

Thanks, yes I had thought about green but then thought it may make it sludgy or not crisp, then I thought about lifting it with Irving stripe cranberry or kimono cranberry Laura Ashley Roman blinds. But then thought that whole look might be dating it further ....

Then I thought, maybe greys? Then I thought I'm not going through trying to find a perfect grey again, after my bedroom malarkey

Then I thought maybe a teal type heritage colour might be nice, but maybe too dark ..... then I gave up .... Lol

I'm torn between th crispness of the white and the possible outdated look of some of the muted colours which might make it look dirty .......

Achingallover Thu 28-Jan-16 13:15:47

The pic Is from a year ago, there are tall glass cabinets same colour as kitchen ones there now

Achingallover Thu 28-Jan-16 13:21:13

I hate that inset tile, but it's everywhere even carried through into the utility and on the wall I was standing by taking pic. Can't remove them yet though that's the plan, just have to do it when DH is away working as I don't want the argument lol

wowfudge Thu 28-Jan-16 18:17:19

What is the flooring? I can't tell if it's vinyl or tiles. Changing that would lift the place.

Achingallover Thu 28-Jan-16 19:00:46

Floor is dark vinyl to look like tile

Borninthe60s Thu 28-Jan-16 19:53:59

Warm colour on walls
Replace curtains with blinds
Re upholster dining chairs with fabric to match blinds and add a table runner

wowfudge Fri 29-Jan-16 00:13:53

I'd probably change the vinyl for something more modern then. And put something on that big expanse of wall by the dining table - nice painting or print to tie everything together.

onebusymum Mon 01-Feb-16 13:58:07

Ours was very dated similar cupboards to yours. We have replastered and re tiled. We may paint the cupboards as well yet. It is alot more modern now than before!!

Highlandbird Mon 01-Feb-16 14:09:59

A friend just painted the tiles in her kitchen and it looks really good, she couldn't afford to replace them.

Achingallover Mon 01-Feb-16 20:23:15

Im reluctant to paint tiles, as you then paint over grouting and it looks like a bodge job. Also the paint scrapes off too easily. Hubby is dead against removing the tiles, unfortunately. I've replaced the curtains with duck egg Roman blinds with small white spots ... New in at dunelm .... Now I need to think of a colour for the walls .... Any ideas? smile

Onebusymum .... That's looking lovely !

Achingallover Mon 01-Feb-16 20:35:48

Here's the new blinds and a new dresser on the big wall ..... Any ideas for wall colour please?

Achingallover Mon 01-Feb-16 20:37:16

I replaced the table with a small corner one tucked away as we never used it anyway ....

Afishcalledchips Mon 01-Feb-16 20:56:15

Looks lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now