Talk

Advanced search

Hello! Project managing a lot of decoration.

(5 Posts)
lborgia Sat 16-Jan-16 10:38:53

Hi. Well here's a problem i never thought I've have.

After 15 years of making do and small bits of work, we're having a major renovation and I'm excited but completely overwhelmed. We're very clear on what we're doing with the drawings and architect, but i need to start making firmer decisions about kitchen, bathroom types, colours for rooms. The internal stuff I suppose.

I've got a lot of ideas in my head, and few tatty paint cards etc (I've been vaguely thinking about this all for a while), but wondering if any of you have had a process that's really worked for you.

I can't quite grasp the leap from poring over instagram, wondering around our local b&q equivalent. It needs to be a physical I think so i can slot stuff in; i need to have phone numbers/shops/prices/photos. I'm happy to print lots of stuff out, but I'm pretty useless at referring to online /computerised databases etc. I'm more of a vision board sort I think.

So, if you've got this far, thank you!

lborgia Sat 16-Jan-16 19:40:14

Bumping for traffic? I know it's a bit of a non problem on the face of it bit I'm scared of making expensive mistakes.

Drquin Sat 16-Jan-16 20:01:45

Not sure what all you've decide yet .....

But my suggestion would be to establish a timeline with builder & architect in terms of when you need to have decided on things & ordered them. Be quite specific ..... I put in a new Howdens kitchen recently and they said they've got 99% of stuff in stock, and with a few other depots in a 20 mile radius, I could change my mind on stuff almost daily and expect it to be available. BUT, that mucks about your builder / kitchen fitter's schedule. And many other suppliers wouldn't be able to do that. Anything custom-ordered probably won't be so flexible. So be very clear on what needs ordered by when.

That way, you can prioritise what you need to decide on (including budgeting) when.
I've just done internal renovations, and I would love a "wow" wallpaper on all walks in the lounge ..... But I couldn't visualise the new size / shape of the room, along with new sofas & dining table AND wallpaper. So, it's painted white for now ..... I can sort paper later. Wouldn't have said the same about the sodas with a 2-month lead time!

Drquin Sat 16-Jan-16 20:05:42

Sorry, should also say ..... There comes a point when you need to step away from the "house" magazines, Pinterest, etc.
Easy for me to say now smile

There comes a point (see schedule!) when you need to just have faith and pick a couple of options to then narrow down to one.

lborgia Sat 16-Jan-16 20:18:54

Thanks Drquin, the architect seems to be good at process and the timelines are already quite clear for the first steps so i suppose that will continue - I'll check.

Part of the problem i think is that i haven't done anything like this since i moved to Oz and everything seems to be ikea or extortionate. . I think i need to allocate a day and just start with the most exciting room and get on with it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now