Paint colour suggestions

(7 Posts)
wowfudge Wed 06-Jan-16 09:59:56

Looking for some inspiration for a large hall, stairs and landing. The whole area has a dark red carpet which is not going or being replaced. Any suggestions as to what colour to put on the walls? There is a lot of oak woodwork (period house) and it needs to feel warm and welcoming. Light is great in much of the space with a couple of darker corners.

I'm finding it difficult to imagine what it could/would look like as it's currently a vibrant colour which is rather eye-catching. We want tasteful, but not blah, if that makes sense.

missmargot Wed 06-Jan-16 10:07:19

I really like Farrow and Ball Hardwick White against a dark red carpet, as per this photo farrowball.pressloft.com/product.php?pid=684489

wowfudge Wed 06-Jan-16 10:44:18

Hmm - interesting suggestion, thank you. I'm just not a big grey fan and not sure how it would look with oak woodwork.

wowfudge Wed 06-Jan-16 12:05:01

You've got me thinking though! The hall is a room rather than a corridor so we were thinking of perhaps giving it club/library feel - which sounds so pretentious as I type it!

missmargot Wed 06-Jan-16 18:37:09

It might be worth getting a tester pot of the colour as it appears really different in different lights. We have it on our upstairs landing and it's more of a green there.

I really like the club/library idea, do you have that style of furniture for it?

BYOSnowman Wed 06-Jan-16 18:42:24

I like little Greene heritage colours. They come in different shades too

My hall is bone china blue

wowfudge Wed 06-Jan-16 18:49:52

It's for the house we're moving to, so I need ideas in order to get things going when we move in - get it done early on rather than procrastinating and five years later it's still the same! There's some built in oak shelving, Edwardian, and there's a fireplace, so it needs to be in keeping whether it's antique second hand or just classic that works with the surroundings. I'm think of a sofa and some armchairs and possibly a desk. Side table and somewhere for DP's treasured chess set. I'm wary of making it look like the lobby of a guesthouse/small hotel!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now