Talk

Advanced search

I'm useless, please help me choose curtains

(8 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Mon 23-Nov-15 20:13:52

Hi, I have dark brown sofas and wooden floor. The walls are white at the mo, but only because I have no clue.
Need to buy curtaisn but don't know what colour to go with. It's a bay window and I have a pole now.

I have bought two pairs from John lewis and taken both back, one was dark grey (far too dark) and the other a red colour. Looked wrong.

I quite like these grey/yellow/blue colour schemes but not sure.
I can't change the sofas, but could paint walls
Please advise if you can help me, I'd be so grateful. Feel like an idiot.
Here is the link, I need to choose from the john lewis ready made curtain selection, as I can't go anywhere else unfortunately... www.johnlewis.com/browse/home-garden/curtains-poles/view-all-ready-made-curtains-panels/_/N-cr2

VulcanWoman Mon 23-Nov-15 20:27:58

The dandelion clocks are the only ones that match your colour criteria. I know no use now but maybe next time, I think Dunelm have a great selection.

PrimalLass Thu 26-Nov-15 19:58:31

I do like the Dandelion clocks pattern, but I think it is already dates. I would go with the plain eyelet curtains in a pale colour then paints the walls.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 26-Nov-15 23:42:25

Thanks both. I'm going to try and make a mood board this weekend....

atticusclaw2 Thu 26-Nov-15 23:52:13

Remember you don't need all of your colours in your curtain fabric. Are your sofas fabric or leather? You could have for example grey and yellow in the curtains and bring in the blue through a painting and/or the cushions.

I often chose the artwork and pull colours from that. It ties the room together nicely. EBay is great for original paintings although there are some rather revealing nudes so be careful abut opening the pages when DCs are around.

The dandelion clocks print is dated now.

PrimalLass Fri 27-Nov-15 11:05:57

*dated, not dates grin

I like using Polyvore for room mood boards. You can install a 'clip to Polyvore' thing for Chrome.

FrameyMcFrame Fri 27-Nov-15 11:15:23

Thanks PrimalLass... I was looking at the colours in the Orla Keily prints that go together, brown, orange, limey yellow and grey. Don't think I would get curtains in that fabric as it would be too much...

amarmai Thu 03-Dec-15 16:10:04

turquoise and raspberry are good with brown. A pole wd go across the bay , but if you go with a separate roman blind for each window in the bay, you'll highlight this great feature not hide it. google how to make a roman blind- you can make it yourself! It uses the least amount of fabric of any style of curtain and putting it up just requires drapery hooks and eyes and inserting a piece of thin wood slat into the top hem of the blind. It will be so much cheaper than the prices you have posted here. Ikea sells them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now