Talk

Advanced search

help me with my living room (pictures included)

(26 Posts)
Aoifebell Mon 23-Nov-15 13:36:38

I hate it. I'm lost. I don't know what to do with it. It needs new flooring and a sofa which I can't afford right now so have to work around them. The green fabric was put up for a party but I sort of liked it so kept it up now I dislike it hmm however I dislike the black and red floral wallpaper that's underneath even more!

What should I do with it? Really arrange? Colour schemes? Any help is greatly appreciated. I can't do anything strucural but can put shelves up etc

I would LOVE new doors but no idea where to start with that one...

P.s it's horrendous I know blush

DeirdreDoo Mon 23-Nov-15 13:47:42

It's not awful at all. It seems quite dark, and quite small, but there isn't anything else wrong with it.

I like your Ikea things. I would probably take down the fabric and paint the wall after taking off the wallpaper. You could even paint it that green, it's nice smile

The orangey table is a bit ugly and the sofa is a dark colour, which doesn't help, also is the sofa a bit too big?

Do you need all the seating? If so could you drape some bright blankets over it?

The floor looks fine, the door (pink?)is funky smile

Change the lampshade for a paper globe in white; that should help too.

I think it has a lot of potential.

DeirdreDoo Mon 23-Nov-15 13:49:07

Oh and could you maybe wall mount the TV?

mercifulTehlu Mon 23-Nov-15 13:54:28

Personally I'd get rid of the green fabric, regardless of the wallpaper. It gives the room a kind of make-shift, partitioned feel to it. A rug would be a good addition and would make it a but cosier-looking.

spanky2 Mon 23-Nov-15 13:57:23

I think a large mirror opposite the window or above the tv to bring more light into the room. I like the sofa. A large rug and some cushions in the same shades. Maybe pick out that shade in lighter tone for some paint. I would like to add some pictures and largish family photos to personalise the room. I like the material on the wall.

Aoifebell Mon 23-Nov-15 13:58:17

The doors white grin well it was but 5 years later it's turned beige!

Agree with sofa it's too big but can't get a new one yet desperately want a two or even three seater, and the walls are plasterboard so can't wall mount tv which is annoying.

It's a long room so the sofa sort of divides it into living and "dining" room (I use that term loosely!)

I like the lampshade idea! I hate the ones that are up now. My hallway is the same green so thought it may be too much? Also my kitchen is pink so makes it harder to get a good colour scheme that flows confused

Aoifebell Mon 23-Nov-15 14:00:32

I have a dog and toddler. Maybe a low pile rug would works.

It needs a more homely feel I agree

Is a mirror above the tv not a bit busy?

Error404usernamenotfound Mon 23-Nov-15 14:05:27

It's really not that bad!
I'd take down the fabric (maybe make some cushion covers out if it if you're feeling crafty, it is a nice colour), strip the wallpaper behind it if you don't like it and repaint. Get a big rug until you can afford to get the flooring done, put a throw and/or bright cushions on the sofa, and the light needs a bigger shade, in a light colour. I personally think that the drop-leaf table is a bit dated; go on gumtree or ebay to flog it on and get something nicer, in light wood. It just needs more light an colour in the room, as it's a small room with a small window.

It's all easily and fairly inexpensively done, though.

Qwebec Fri 27-Nov-15 00:17:50

It's not bad, it's just that nothing seems to fit together. I agreewith other get rid of the curtain. Look up on pinterest or google image for different styles of living rooms, pic one that fits with your kitchen and the style of your house. It's tough some times because you might find things you like, but they haveto blend together.

If you like your pink kitchen, it fit right in the fifties so you could look up what was in during that decade.

Oh just found something in the fifties scandinavian was in that would be nice
withyour pink kitchen
www.google.ca/search?q=scandinavian+fifties&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRp_6mqa_JAhVGMz4KHUvmBpAQsAQIHA&biw=1525&bih=736&dpr=0.9#imgrc=_ look at the colors

article about the decade blog.retroplanet.com/1950s-decorating-style/

Cel982 Fri 27-Nov-15 11:56:36

It's not terrible, just a bit incoherent. You need some sort of a colourscheme.

Here's what I'd do:
1. Find a nice rug you really like, something with a bit of a pattern.
2. Take down the wall fabric, which is a bit oppressive, and strip the wallpaper if possible. Pick out one of the colours from the rug and paint that bit of wall in that shade.
3. Get a few new cushions and a light shade in a colour that's also in the rug. Everything will tie together without looking too matchy-matchy.

MackerelOfFact Fri 27-Nov-15 12:19:30

Do you use the door (other than for hanging stuff off grin)? If you removed the door completely I think it'd feel a lot bigger.

The fabric makes it look a bit dingy I think, it's too much like curtains. You could use the fabric to make some curtains for the actual window, however, which always makes a room look cosier.

You could 'update' the table by sanding down and waxing the top and painting the legs cream. Or just throw a tablecloth over it (something like this maybe - or use your wall fabric)!

A vase of flowers, bowl of fruit or houseplant on top of that (and the sideboard under the window) gives a bit of a focal point. An oversized clock on the wall that the door currently opens onto might be nice.

Allgunsblazing Fri 27-Nov-15 12:56:57

I would take the wallpaper down and go over all the walls with white.
Lampshade: change it for a paper white one.
The orange table: just paint it white!
I would put a plant or two on the chest of drawers (I know you have a toddler. She can help water them).

sparklingsky Fri 27-Nov-15 22:45:14

I think it is fine but has still more potential. I agree with paining the table a light colour. The best colour to work with pink from the kitchen, brown sofas and your flooring is a light soft green (more cooking apple than the one you have). Why not think of painting it where the fabric is and change the cushion covers?

CandlesBurning Fri 27-Nov-15 22:56:20

Paint the table with cheap value white paint, sand it a bit and varnish.
Take down the green curtain and use the value white paint to paint over the wall paper. Use the green for curtains/cushions etc. Mirror can go on the newly painted white wall

Have a look at ikea ektorp sofa, cheapest is £200 plus £25 for the cover, fab sofa and washable cover. 2 seater can sit 3 cosily

CandlesBurning Fri 27-Nov-15 22:57:02

Or can move the room so living room but is nearer the kitchen, with table near the entrance, using sofa with back to kitchen?

Secondtimeround75 Fri 27-Nov-15 23:10:38

Change the light fitting to something neutral . Paper shades are nice.

Take down the fabric and put up a photo collage feature wall.

Sheepskin rug in front of TV

Mix & match colours & sizes of cushions for sofa .

Do you use the drop leaf table ??

senua Fri 27-Nov-15 23:39:24

There are lots of big blocks of colour - the green wall, the brown sofa, the floorboards, the white walls. It needs something to soften it.

FadedRed Fri 27-Nov-15 23:39:39

Take the fabric down and paint over the wallpaper, white or very light greeny-white to compliment with the fabric colour.
Use the fabric to cover the settee cushions, it looks like you would have sufficient fabric to do that. Then cover the cushions in toning fabric or white.
Paint the table white/cream or the same as the wall, rub down and varnish.
A rug on the floor to tone in with the green and white theme and a new white lampshade.
Agree with large mirror on the newly painted wall maximise the light, or one or two large canvases (the Works?) painted in abstract swirls of wall colour and toning green paint.

Seeyounearertime Fri 27-Nov-15 23:44:24

I'm no help but didn't want to read and run. grin

I really like your loving room as it is, I would bung a rug down. .. Then I'd play catch with the dog and watch him skid on it. smile

Like I said, no help. grin

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Fri 27-Nov-15 23:53:05

It feels quite stark and cold. My ideas would be:

1. Take that material down. Strip wallpaper underneath.
2. Find a rug you like in warm colours.
3. Pick up in colours in rug for paint for walk behind sofa and curtains, to tie it all in together
4. Get rid of blind at window
5. New lampshade
Job's a good 'un!

LeaLeander Sat 28-Nov-15 00:01:02

Are those white units below the window built-in or moveable? Is it possible to paint them a darker, warmer color?

I would move the sofa to where the TV is, so it's not facing a door. That's uncomfortable, psychologically.

Remove the door if possible and put the little table near it. Can you paint the table? chalk paint, etc. -- shabby chic? Or black for a more sleek and modern looks?

Use wall fabric to make a slipcover for couch?

Agree that a rug would make the room more cozy, and get rid of the mini-blinds at window.

Haribogirl Sat 28-Nov-15 00:17:14

Defo take the fabric down, it dominates the room!
Paint the walls
New rug, make it more warmer
New cushions
Tv on wall bracket

imaginarypeople Sat 28-Nov-15 00:48:13

What's behind the green fabric, is it a wall or window?

I would depending on how much storage you need, have a white shelving system put in with a space for the TV, where the sofa is currently.
Put the sofa on the wall with the door. I know you can't replace it at the moment, but how about a sofa cover, inexpensive and you can wash it easily. Maybe go for grey or white, or even emerald green/ pink sofa? To tie in with the kitchen and hallway use a mix of white, green, pink cushions, different patterns etc.

Above the sofa you could have a mirror or a painting, something metallic silver,neutral print.
Replace Lampshade with a white lampshade or a chandelier. Have a few more lamps dotted around ,tall ones, short ones etc.
Cosy rug
Curtains in a mint green/pink colour with a layer of chiffon,gauzy curtains underneath, reflects more light.

Maybe have an armchair or seat where the white drawers are, a potted plant - reading corner or play area?

Paint the brown table white/cream, paint the walls an off white pink or green or cream.

AlwaysBeYourself Sat 28-Nov-15 01:20:54

I would replace the white furniture with a warm wooden piece.
Change the curtains to cream
Cream rug
cream shades of cushions
new light shade

FrameyMcFrame Sat 28-Nov-15 02:10:48

I think it's the dark brown sofa, we have the same trouble, dark brown is quite dominating....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now