Advanced search

Help! Looking for Bay Window Pole curtains (bendable?)

(18 Posts)
hypercalifragilistic Sun 22-Nov-15 19:42:49

I hope someone can help, I am getting really cold, and I can't sleep because I have the street lights in my eye but I would prefer to buy something once and for all!

I am looking for that sort of curtain pole: they go into the bay window following the shape, but then come out of it, so most of the curtains is on the side wall (and not in front of the window) during the day. The end of the pole is not attached to the wall. Hope that makes sense, you can see the photo.

Does anyone know where I can find something like that? I am failing miserably and getting really desperate.

DeirdreDoo Sun 22-Nov-15 19:52:22

I think the bit where it goes round the corner and along the wall is called a 'return'.

See pic - A and F are the returns.

I have an old heavy bay window pole with articulated corners that can be adjusted to multiple angles.

It cost a fortune then fell off our crumbly Victorian wall sad

So I used Fineline tracks along the wooden frames instead, but that wouldn't work for you as they wouldn't have the return thing.

Fineline do a nice bendable bay window track though. I love them.

Try a curtain shop, the bendy poles are often over a hundred quid though in my experience. You could have ours if it hadn't been under the trampoline for a while and gone a bit rusty inside...still OK on the outside though.

DeirdreDoo Sun 22-Nov-15 19:53:07

oh sorry picture

Archer26 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:09:45

We have a bay widow but found the specific bay window curtain poles so expensive. In the end we got normal curtain poles and you can buy connectors to, well, connect them so the curtains still pull over them. The connectors can be adjusted to the angle of your window.

We got the connectors from dunelm and I'm sure I've seen them in b&q.

hypercalifragilistic Sun 22-Nov-15 20:16:41

thank you DeirdreDoo it's very useful, will help my search!

Thanks Archer26, I will try to make sense of the connectors and bits, I can't spend a fortune on this! Off to Dunelm website now smile

SwedishEdith Sun 22-Nov-15 20:19:31

We got them from Terry's Can get them online.

bimandbam Sun 22-Nov-15 20:21:41

Have a look in wilkos. Sure I bought one from there once. I know I had to use holdbacks quite high up on the wall to pin the curtains back during the day but it worked quite well and I didn't have a lot to send either.

nothanksbyenow Sun 22-Nov-15 20:24:24

Try John Lewis, they have a variety of bendy poles. we used them for our bay window as we wanted to shut out the glare from the streetlight.

Fuckitfay Sun 22-Nov-15 20:24:30

We got ours from Dunelm

Fuckitfay Sun 22-Nov-15 20:27:11

Better picture. They look nicer with curtain ties

TiddlesUpATree Sun 22-Nov-15 20:33:51

Avoid the ikea ones. They weren't cheep and the bendy bits fit the corners are rubber so the rings stick on them when opening or closing the curtains.

hypercalifragilistic Sun 22-Nov-15 21:06:43

thanks for all the ideas, I should get somewhere!

DeirdreDoo Mon 23-Nov-15 07:59:06

They do tend to stick. Whichever ones you get. other solution is to have separate ones or just corners at the, uhh, corners, and have four curtains instead of two.

Never bother with the corded ones. They just jam (IME)

ProfGrammaticus Mon 23-Nov-15 08:03:42

Yes you can buy flexible plastic track and plastic fittings - I got parts from Terry's when mine broke, they were good - or you can get a metal one custom made. I've had both.

wowfudge Mon 23-Nov-15 08:04:45

We have four ready made curtains because of the size of the bay. It is my dream if I ever get round to it to have just two curtains instead of having to adjust where the curtains meet every time the curtains are drawn.

MrsBosh Sun 06-Dec-15 11:58:21

We had similar issue, blooming bays are tricky! Ending up getting a Silent Gliss Metropole thing which they do in John Lewis kinda 'made-to-measure'. However in the end we got the same product from a local independent shop as I wanted someone proper to do the measurements. I didn't trust myself to get it right!
Oh, how I longed for normal straight windows envy

amarmai Tue 08-Dec-15 19:55:22

Roman blinds are a good solution for tricky windows- really easy and cheap to make and put up. Google is your friend!

superram Sun 13-Dec-15 21:19:12

We had the dunelm one. We have really high windows and the hooks just got stuck and eventually started to come away from the wall. Fitted Roman blinds yesterday as the curtains half hanging down is not really the look I was going for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now