Talk

Advanced search

Please help with big decision

(4 Posts)
mineallmine Thu 12-Nov-15 22:50:22

We've just started building a house in the country. We have to make a decision very soon about what flooring to use downstairs. I originally planned on having tiles in the hall, kitchen/living room and utility from a practical point of view. This is an area of about 75sqm. Although I prefer wood, the house is in the country and will have quite a rough road up to it and I thought a wooden floor might not hold up as well to two dogs, stones on shoes etc. Also, for the kitchen, tiles are safer around the dishwasher I presume?
But now I'm thinking that the tiles might feel very cold (no UFH) and may date quicker. What about an engineered wood floor (better with water splashes?) I need to make a decision quickly because the concrete floor is being poured as soon as the bloody rain stops and the level this is to be poured to is affected by the type of flooring apparently?
Anyone any thoughts??

TheLesserSpottedBee Fri 13-Nov-15 07:29:19

I know you have posted this in home decoration but I would re-post in Property/DIY for more traffic.

Scattymum101 Fri 13-Nov-15 10:35:05

My aunt has a house like this and they have underfloor heating which makes the tiles very cosy.

dontcallmelen Sat 14-Nov-15 20:50:04

Hi op maybe go with tiles in the hall & engineered wood elsewhere, we have this combination & has worked well, I don't like tiles in the kitchen too cold & hard, plus engineered wood can be lightly sanded/oiled when it gets a bit scruffy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now