Talk

Advanced search

Talk me through repainting a bedroom - total novice!

(4 Posts)
hillbilly Tue 10-Nov-15 12:13:12

I want to repaint both DCs bedrooms but tbh the thought of sanding down everything fills me with dread. What is the minimal I can get away with to do a decent job. I'm very happy with the actual painting part it's just the prep that scares me.

wowfudge Tue 10-Nov-15 14:05:36

The only parts you would need to sand would be the woodwork and any filler used on cracks or holes. Or use Zinsser BIN primer on the woodwork and no sanding required. It's not the cheapest but does give really good results.

Do any filling first and sand smooth and flat. If you use wet and dry paper wet it creates less dust than ordinary sand paper. Paint the ceiling first then the walls and finally the woodwork. If you don't have one get a roller extension pole for painting the ceiling. I like 1.5 to 2 inches brushes for cutting in and always use rollers for the main painting. A radiator roller is great for painting behind radiators.

hillbilly Tue 10-Nov-15 14:27:36

Thanks Wow - do I need to wash down the walls?

wowfudge Tue 10-Nov-15 21:32:40

Hi again - if they are really grubby then it could be worth it. Use sugar soap, but wear rubber gloves as it is hard on hands. I've only had to sugar soap before painting in a kitchen because of grease.

A tip when painting is to wrap brushes in cling film when you have a break - or even overnight for emulsion - and then put in a plastic bag. Saves having to clean up all the time. You can put rollers in carrier bags and cling film the roller tray and stick that in a bag too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now