Talk

Advanced search

Choose my bathroom towels please! (with photos)

(31 Posts)
Wigeon Mon 09-Nov-15 13:32:26

We have a selection of mismatched towels and I want to get rid of the lot and choose a new colour. But not sure what colour to go for. Bathroom pics attached - cream tiles, dark brown unit and mirror cabinet, mosaic tiles in brown / cream / glass / stone type effects. Paint above tiles and on ceiling is white. Floor is dark brown. Bath, loo and sink all white.

Most of the towels are navy, as that matched the bathroom in our last house, which we moved out of 6 years ago...

Any ideas on what colour towels would go well?

EliGold Mon 09-Nov-15 13:33:54

Cream or brown. I love white towels but they're totally impractical. Lovely bathroom.

7to25 Mon 09-Nov-15 13:36:52

Vets will usually take old towels

Wigeon Mon 09-Nov-15 13:36:57

Thanks for your reply. The bathroom was the first thing we ripped out when we moved in because it was avocado, and in really terrible condition. You felt dirtier after a bath than before!

Do brown towels look a bit too 1970s? Would also love fluffy white towels, but instead I have some greying, cardboard-y towels and it seems impossible to rescue them. Bit worried cream might go grey too?

Wigeon Mon 09-Nov-15 13:52:28

I will definitely freecycle the old towels, rather than just chuck them - did this before with some my MIL gave me and they got snapped up by dog owners!

QforCucumber Mon 09-Nov-15 13:54:10

Would a lighter brown, dark beigey colour be more suited than white or cream?
kinda like Latte or biscuit? (i'm clutching to think of the colour I have in my head now haah)

Wtfmummy Mon 09-Nov-15 13:56:59

Bathroom looks lovely. I would go for a lighter colour like stone/putty type colour given the unit is dark wood.

Sgtmajormummy Mon 09-Nov-15 14:02:08

Cream with a black mosaic border like your tiles. Or plain beige for practicality but good quality.
Lucky you buying new towels!

DrivingMissLazy1 Mon 09-Nov-15 14:08:13

Do they have to totally blend in with the decor? I like a pop of colour to liven things up a bit. I have the same sort of bathroom but I like bright blue or pink towels <that's why I'm not an inrerior designer>

EliGold Mon 09-Nov-15 15:24:26

Pretty bland
www.johnlewis.com/graccioza-egyptian-cotton-towels/p625460?colour=Natural

EliGold Mon 09-Nov-15 15:26:25

Splash of colour
www.johnlewis.com/missprint-trees-cotton-towel/p2013538?colour=Orange

hedgehogsdontbite Mon 09-Nov-15 15:27:26

I'd go for orange or red. But I like a splash of bright colour.

EliGold Mon 09-Nov-15 15:28:27

My favourite
m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-croft-collection-linen-mix-towels/p1913291?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_28#page_loaded

P1nkP0ppy Mon 09-Nov-15 15:33:36

Orange, coral or peachy sort of shades?
Stripes black/brown/beige/cream - House of Fraser Linea or Debenhams?

Don't get black unless you're happy for them to moult forever (very expensive mistake)

Cream would be lovely too, mix with stripy ones?

ConnieSpry Mon 09-Nov-15 15:42:31

I think lime green looks good with dark brown. If it were me I would do that to give it a lift although I can see dark brown or white / cream would look smart.

amarmai Mon 09-Nov-15 16:19:42

coral or cream- also can easily dye the cream in the washing machine if they get dingy.so cream and then dye to coral.

amarmai Mon 09-Nov-15 16:38:33

blue- but not too pale or bright or dark! maybe periwinkle?

Sgtmajormummy Mon 09-Nov-15 17:24:34

www.justlinen.co.uk/justlinen/christy-modena-border-neutral.asp
This is similar to what I was thinking, and just look at those prices!

Wigeon Mon 09-Nov-15 17:38:34

Been out - thanks for all the replies to return to!

I think I was definitely thinking of a colour - beige /cream/ brown would definitely go but is a bit...dull?

Thinking orange and brown is too 70s again? Quite like the suggestion of red, that would be good. What about Royal purple? Teal? Would lilac look too insipid? I can't tell if those colours would look stupid or cool.

Not entirely sure I can picture periwinkle, and Google images seems to come up with various shades of soft blue / lilac. Did you mean the lightish soft blue?

Optimist1 Mon 09-Nov-15 18:12:56

I think teal/petrol would go very nicely. These people have great prices and I've bought from them without problems on many occasions, so can recommend.

Wigeon Mon 09-Nov-15 18:21:12

Optimist - that website has amazing prices! So the towels aren't really thin then? That colour is lovely too, thanks for linking. It says another 20% off - can that really be on top of the list price?

Optimist1 Mon 09-Nov-15 18:25:56

Yes, I'm pretty sure the discount is in addition to the list price! I bought some of the Christy Tribeca ones a month or so ago in aubergine (which I think might be a bit dark for your bathroom) - they're thick and soft. My only niggle is that there was a lot of fluff wafting about in the bathroom until I'd washed them three or four times. TBH I think the fact that my bathroom being 99% white and my towels being very dark didn't help, but I'm still confident in recommending! Let me know what you think if you place an order. smile

Wigeon Mon 09-Nov-15 20:39:50

Ooh, sorely tempted! DH says he likes them (tbh, he doesn't see the problem with the current towels, but that's because he doesn't notice that kind of thing). I reckon we could get all the towels we need for £81 from there - bargain!

Wigeon Tue 10-Nov-15 20:02:41

In an uncharacteristic display of impulse buying, I've gone for Optimists teal towels - being delivered Friday (could have had them as soon as tomorrow, but I won't be in). Thanks v much for the link Optimist!! I will update with new photos once they arrive!

Optimist1 Tue 10-Nov-15 22:04:23

Woo hoo! Looking forward to hearing what you think, Wigeon. (As I was drying after my shower this morning I was thinking of you and wondering whether you'd take the plunge. grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now