Talk

Advanced search

Want to paint hallway - dado rail question

(13 Posts)
Rosie70 Fri 06-Nov-15 19:04:44

The hallway in our Victorian terrace is currently painted white in an attempt to maximise light but it doesn't show off thr nice period features - dado and picture rail - as they are also white. Want to posh it up a bit. Thinking about a soft pale green or grey for walls instead. Shall i paint a darker shade under dado rail and lighter above? Would this look good? Thanks

Millipedewithherfeetup Fri 06-Nov-15 19:28:25

Yes, that would look nice, have a look on pintrest for lots of decorating ideas/colours etc.

Rosie70 Sat 07-Nov-15 08:12:10

Thanks Milli that's a good idea, I will. Has anyone else tried this kind of tonal approach in the hall?

BippityBoppity Sat 07-Nov-15 08:14:29

I have a very milky coffee colour under the dado and cream on top with all the woodwork glossed white - I love it

bonzo77 Sat 07-Nov-15 08:17:06

Our hall (and stairs and landing) have a dado and picture rails, original skirtings etc. There's also very little natural light. The woodwork is all white and the walls a very pale lemon yellow. Warm but bright. Cannot take credit for it as it was like that when we bought it. In the rest of the house the walls are a very very pale pink: so pale you don't really see they're pink except in certain lights.

potap123 Sat 07-Nov-15 08:17:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosie70 Sat 07-Nov-15 08:25:52

Thanks everyone really helpful. Potap what shade did you use? Sounds nice. Did F and B people have a reason for using same shade above and below?

PrimalLass Sat 07-Nov-15 11:28:41

I prefer white below and colour above. We have just put in board and batten and are aiming for something like this. We are using F&B Ammonite above the dado, but have Charleston Gray elsewhere and I really like it.

Rosie70 Sat 07-Nov-15 14:33:21

That looks great with the panelling Primal thanks for posting. Not sure it would work for plain walls though. The beigey colour is lovely is that Charleston Gray?

PrimalLass Sat 07-Nov-15 14:37:13

Charleston Grey is darker. More taupe.

AnyoneButAndre Sat 07-Nov-15 14:37:54

We went with basic Dulux colour chart approach, same colour but a light shade above the dado and two shades darker underneath. White gloss for the woodwork. Unimaginative but it works.

lighteningirl Sun 08-Nov-15 10:20:19

We have used Dimpse under picture rail and white for skirts picture rail and above rail its beautiful. Someone here on mn recommended it it's a silvery blue grey that changes with the light. I am a total F &B convert so easy to paint with and amazing coverage. I really want to paint the picture rail with Nancy's Blushes but dh is not keen

minipie Sun 08-Nov-15 14:11:46

Yy to darker below and white/pale above. Hides the inevitable scuff marks that happen to the bottom half.

Wish we had a dado!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now