Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can I paint over wallpaper?

(14 Posts)
Madelinehatter Sun 18-Oct-15 18:40:39

I can't be arsed to strip it and will only be putting up lining paper anyway to cover dodgy plaster. So can I? It's dark paper and am using a lighter colour.

MrsB1988 Sun 18-Oct-15 18:43:23

Nooooooo!!!! Dooooont doooo ittttt!!!!shock.....well you could but it won't look great and it will be such a horrendous task getting it all off when you change your mind again! grin

wowfudge Sun 18-Oct-15 18:44:18

Yes - as long as it is firmly fixed to the wall. You might find it needs several coats and some finishes can show through paint. Bear in mind that when you eventually come to strip the walls, it will probably be a bit more difficult to remove paper that's been painted over.

SwedishEdith Sun 18-Oct-15 18:46:29

Depends on the paper. If it's paper paper then it's no different to lining paper. But, if the previous owners of your house covered everywhere in beautiful floral vinyl paper, then no, you own't be able to paint over it.

Madelinehatter Sun 18-Oct-15 18:46:50

Agh, one yes and one no! FWIW don't plan to strip it ever if I can help it. Hate stripping paper off!

TheGreenNinja Sun 18-Oct-15 18:50:12

Yep, I've just done that very thing (on vinyl floral paper!). I primed it first because it was vinyl. Took two coats of paint and looks fab.

Madelinehatter Sun 18-Oct-15 18:57:28

What you prime with?

ShelaghTurner Sun 18-Oct-15 19:01:43

I've been researching this because am painting over feature walls. I know, I know.... And it seems that as long as you seal the paper first it's fine.

TheGreenNinja Sun 18-Oct-15 19:04:09

Primer. wink

I used zinsser BIN which primes ANYTHING. I really lightly sanded the paper with a sanding sponge just to score the surface a bit, washed it down, primed it when dry.

HeySoulSister Sun 18-Oct-15 19:05:44

You need to seal ( paper will absorb water based paint but it will be patchy without a seal)

SwedishEdith Sun 18-Oct-15 19:17:12

Oh, I didn't know about the primer. Damn.

BumWad Sun 18-Oct-15 21:09:05

Yes of course you can.

We had flocked paper on on our bedroom walls, have painted Laura Ashley duck egg on it and it looks gorgeous! You can see the pattern still underneath but looks good. Have also painted over embossed paper in the hallway. You need to stick down any bits that have come away and sand down the joins. Make sure you do quite a good few coats.

wowfudge Tue 20-Oct-15 06:38:01

I've never sealed wallpaper when painting over it btw. We painted the manky patterned bathroom wallpaper when I was a student and it was fine. I painted blown vinyl wallpaper in my first house (stairs and landing) as I couldn't be bothered to strip the paper. It worked fine. Our house now is lining papered then painted.

gamerwidow Tue 20-Oct-15 06:41:57

50% of my house is painted over paper. It will be fine. Better to paint over paper than to strip and find the walls in a mess and needs either replastering or lining anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now