What's on your dining table?

(41 Posts)
DetectiveLund Tue 11-Aug-15 13:24:22

Bog standard, boring IKEA beech dining table (no dining room, all open plan downstairs). Now that it's finally clear, what can we put on it to make it look more homely/"done"?

PurpleDaisies Tue 11-Aug-15 13:27:57

I have a runner, pretty place mats, a fruit bowl full of fruit and a flowery jug with fresh flowers in it.

And a stack of books I'm supposed to have marked already, a laundry basket full of ironing, a mug of half drunk cold tea and a banana skin.

DetectiveLund Tue 11-Aug-15 13:29:39

The mug of cold tea, I can do! Thanks - nice ideas.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 11-Aug-15 13:30:44

In amongst the felt tips,drawings,string,brownie uniform,empty boxes,headphones,cut up photos,and village show commendation certificate,there is -somewhere- a nice candle and fruit bowl on mine.

PurpleDaisies Tue 11-Aug-15 13:31:41

It does make it look homely!

holmessweetholmes Tue 11-Aug-15 13:31:59

Usually nothing except a (coated) tablecloth. Currently a ton of arts and crafts stuff that the dc are using.

gamerchick Tue 11-Aug-15 13:38:53

Just a tablecloth. The cat likes to take position on a chair and scribblewibblescribblewibblescribewibble with her feet until it's come off in a heap angry

Twowrongsdontmakearight Tue 11-Aug-15 13:46:22

Currently DS's RC plane and a glue gun - current passion. Also some of his GCSE revision notes.

We tend to eat round the breakfast bar in the kitchen so the dining room is a bit of a dumping ground!

Hulababy Tue 11-Aug-15 13:54:06

We don't keep anything on ours all the time.

Its a white gloss table top, made of stone. Only got it a couple of months ago.

We did originally have some place mats in the middle but noticed that the table had been marked after a weekend away - was caused by the sun shining on to it through the velux windows above.

Thought we were going to have to get it replaced (spoke to shop it came from and they offered free replacement ) but a couple of days without the mat and it is back to normal.

So now, nothing lives on it!

DustWitch Tue 11-Aug-15 14:00:44

I have a pretty pair of candelabra on mine and a fruit bowl.

Plus loads of the Dc's small toys, pens and magazines. I'm forever clearing it!

mistlethrush Tue 11-Aug-15 14:03:03

Ours has a hornby train set (set up) on it at the moment. Thanks DH, just sets it off nicely.

Brambles35 Tue 11-Aug-15 14:06:49

I either have a very large flattish bamboo fruit bowl (with fruit) or if I have flowers I have the. In two white vases (they are actually white glasses from ikea)

DetectiveLund Tue 11-Aug-15 17:15:20

thanks for the inspiration - we now have a table runner, vase of freesias, tealight in glass holder on small mirrored plate, long white tray of fruit.

and iggle piggle, biros, shopping list and yet another half-drunk tea.

Lj8893 Tue 11-Aug-15 17:52:46

A mint green gingham placemat in the middle with a fruit bowl (and fruit) on top.
Either side of that is a small metal tin tea light holder.
We also have coasters with various bands on such as the Beatles, guns and roses, the who and iron maiden. They don't really fit the style of our kitchen/diner but we love them!

GobblersKnob Tue 11-Aug-15 17:56:02

A dog bed and today's post.

BumWad Tue 11-Aug-15 17:58:09

Rattan place mats in a pile and a fruit bowl which is empty!

LoloKazolo Tue 11-Aug-15 18:14:20

<looks>

A jug of sunflowers, half a cup of cold tea, a teapot, an ordnance survey map and an unpaid bill.

turdfairynomore Tue 11-Aug-15 18:14:28

Black John Rocha Waterford crystal footed bowl.....And a silver stag.....And a sparkly lizard! Doesn't everyone????

Redglitter Tue 11-Aug-15 18:18:35

A runner and a large red bowl with red and gold baubles in it

BeautifulBatman Tue 11-Aug-15 18:21:49

A table runner, some bamboo place mats, a box of lacquered vietnamese coasters, and a cat.

I can hear the germaphobic pearl clutches wretching from here.

CremeEggThief Tue 11-Aug-15 19:30:32

A table runner and 4 matching faux leather placemats.

dontcallmelen Thu 13-Aug-15 20:59:13

A 1930's dining table & chairs with a pretty large ceramic jug, filled with roses from the garden.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Thu 13-Aug-15 22:33:38

A pair of antique green pottery (Arts & Crafts style) trays, a pair of (sadly empty) Perrier Jouet champagne bottles with candles stuffed in the tops and a planter with a hydrangea.

JustBeingJuliet Sun 16-Aug-15 12:59:23

At the minute, there's a big tub of Lego pushed up one end, my sewing machine and a load of fabric. There's usually something on there that either ds or I am working on!

blueteapot Sun 16-Aug-15 19:31:14

A wipeable table cloth (PVC cream with pastel spots from dunelm) and an old pastel green enamel fruit bowl. Thats it lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now