Talk

Advanced search

Are beach-themed bathrooms naff?

(17 Posts)
LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Mon 10-Aug-15 12:39:31

I continue to worry about the Naff Police...

But Dobbies sell lovely ornamental fish and sea shells....

Thanks!

stardusty5 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:55:21

I think if you don't go all out themey then an ornament should be ok!

ProcrastinatorGeneral Mon 10-Aug-15 13:08:24

I think the best thing is to assume that everything is naff then cultivate a lack of fucks to give which allows you to buy all the things grin

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 10-Aug-15 13:09:57

I wouldn't run the theme through to anything that can't be easily removed eg tiles...

Heels99 Mon 10-Aug-15 13:13:22

it is naff but if you love it so what!

ArtyBat Mon 10-Aug-15 13:33:24

Y'know, I honestly think that the trend of 'what's in season and/or fashionable etc, can be a big stumbling block to individual creativity, as people are often too worried about what others may think.....but what they think doesn't matter - at all!

I also think that the drive by manufacturers to continually keep changing trends is nothing more than a cynical ploy to have people continually spending money at the alter of 'KeepingUpWithTheJones's' (or whoever), thus raising the bank balances of said manufacturers.

If you like and want a beach themed bathroom, It's your home, you live in it, so go for it and enjoy it. It will be fab!

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Mon 10-Aug-15 18:17:06

I am adding fertiliser to my crop of lack of fucks!

I am now going to have:
A beach themed bathroom; and
wall stencils; and
keep my feature wall meantime.

I'll get rid of the wallpaper borders asap tho!

Ohbollocksandballs Mon 10-Aug-15 18:18:38

Don't give a fuck it's your house.

I've got feature walls, and my TV is on the wall. I'm a chav someone who was sick of wiping toddler handprints off the bastard tv

BlueBananas Mon 10-Aug-15 18:20:41

What are feature walls naff now?!
I have my tv on my feature wall? Do I win? grin

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 10-Aug-15 18:26:49

I've got 2 seagulls (from Matalan) & a blue & white sort-of robin in a sailor hat grin

cosytoaster Mon 10-Aug-15 18:29:58

Probably - but nearly everything that's appealing and people like is classed as naff on here. I have committed the sin of buying furniture from Next!

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 10-Aug-15 18:30:21

Well I think they're seagulls. Big one has a rather long beak.

If your beach themed bathroom will make you happy, that's all that matters. I personally love seaside-y stuff, and would love a beach themed bathroom - and would happily thumb my nose at anyone who told me it was naff.

Ohbollocksandballs Mon 10-Aug-15 19:46:02

blue my TV is also on my feature wall. We're so naff

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 11-Aug-15 13:34:41

FWIW a wise MNer (I forget which one) once said "if you have to ask if something's naff, then it most probably is"
But also this:

ProcrastinatorGeneral

I think the best thing is to assume that everything is naff then cultivate a lack of fucks to give which allows you to buy all the things grin

Happy House Decorating grin

merrymouse Tue 11-Aug-15 13:41:41

I don't think it matters. I would love a house decorated like the one in grandpa in my pocket - would it be featured in Elle deco? No. Would it be cosy and make me happy? Yes.

theladycarolineno Tue 11-Aug-15 16:06:32

I think there's a massive crossover between soft, neutral colours and beachy tones - if you take your inspiration from the natural colours rather than a deckchair! Think about soft pebble shades, bleached driftwood - these are really just neutrals but can be accessorised with shells, silvery woods and even shiny metals for a sort of maritime theme. This is the sort of thing I mean...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now