Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fireplace in bedroom of 1930's house ? (yes/no)

(10 Posts)
CheshireDing Tue 04-Aug-15 22:47:30

We live in a 1930's pre-war semi, the children's bedrooms have a chimney breast in each room and the shape of a small hearth cut out of the floorboards.

I was thinking that it would be nice to put small white fireplaces in the spaces (not working fireplaces as children only small but not sure if:-

The house would have even originally actually had them

The only little fireplaces I have seen are Victoria but this is a pre-war house (would that look wrong) I am not sure what era the lounge fireplace (black iron with tiles either side) is from.

I have lived in either much older/new builds and am a bit baffled about this era, we bought the house last October and it needs lots of work but it's not the most attractive decade from my current investigations ! smile

HelenF35 Tue 04-Aug-15 23:48:25

It likely would have had fireplaces, probably tiled ones. I'm not a fan of 30s fireplaces, but if you want something authentic you may find it on the Internet or at a salvage yard.

CheshireDing Wed 05-Aug-15 21:45:42

Ah ok thanks HelenF I will continue my hunt around ebay and the like

Poppiesway Wed 05-Aug-15 21:51:46

My house was built 1932.. A previous owner Had fireplaces taken out of bedrooms sad didn't do a good job of plastering over them though. We still have the metal plates in place at foot of chimney breast.
In the front room they put a hideous brick fireplace surround in (I took pleasure in knocking that down!!) but there is still a cast iron fireplace in situ working the kitchen. It's just for decoration now though.

bilbodog Wed 05-Aug-15 22:14:18

I'm sure if you google 1930s fireplaces / images that will show you the sort of thing. Good luck.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 05-Aug-15 22:23:53

Have a look here for some 30s bedroom fireplaces - they're a bit pricy but will give you an idea of the kind of thing that would have been original to the house www.c20fireplaces.co.uk/ofpc_search

wowfudge Wed 05-Aug-15 22:56:15

Here's an original early 1930s bedroom fireplace. I think they are a pain in the neck as the hearth takes up space, but the tiles are fairly inoffensive so I can live with them. We didn't add the painted wood panel btw. The whole thing was painted over with black emulsion when we moved in so I stripped that off as I didn't want a black edifice in my bedroom.

The one in the back bedroom has been painted over in a pale colour. But not the hearth....hmm

CheshireDing Thu 06-Aug-15 21:30:11

Ah thanks everyone. I had been Googling but couldn't decide if they had ever actually been in the bedroom.

I will definitely look further into it, might not bother with the actual tiles up the wall though - that looks like it takes up a lot of wall ! smile

wowfudge Fri 07-Aug-15 12:28:48

There are several reasons why people ripped out 30s fireplaces wink

yomellamoHelly Fri 07-Aug-15 23:13:03

Wowfudge's picture is the same shape as the patched plaster that was in our 2 bedrooms. ('31 semi) We've stuck contemporary electric fireplaces on the front of the chimney breasts. Think it was common to have a "current" fireplace in the front reception and then something cheaper / more commonplace (so electric or Victorian style for example) in the private areas of the house. 'tis a '30s house though so anything goes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now