Talk

Advanced search

Horrible divan or lovely looking bed frame??

(12 Posts)
jollyroger2 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:36:38

After months of looking, we've found the perfect mattress (a Sealy one - and expensive). Do I need to buy the divan that comes with it to guarantee it still feels as firm as when I tried it in the shop?

I have never owned a divan before, always putting the look of it before anything else in the past.

Can't bear the look of a divan, but it is only £100 extra on top of the mattress, so in a way it's tempting as a stopgap at least. Want to buy a nice-looking bed frame but they almost all have sprung slats. Last time we bought a bed we put a Warren Evans mattress on top of a (sprung slatted) bed from Loaf - bed looked lovely, but the mattress felt soft and uneven. Swore I'd never put a mattress on sprung slats again. Desperate to replace it. very uncomfortable.

Warren Evans do flat slats but I'm not keen on the frames.

So, should I get the divan and be done with it? Any views on divans / bed frames? Thanks!

wowfudge Tue 04-Aug-15 08:14:32

I may be wrong, but I imagine that on a bed frame a firm mattress will slightly firmer than on a divan, especially if the divan base is sprung. We have a bed frame from Oakfurnitureland and a mattress from John Lewis bought earlier this year. DP insisted on a firm mattress. It is honestly the comfiest bed I've ever slept on. DP wouldn't let me buy a divan as he hates them.

mellicauli Tue 04-Aug-15 15:42:12

Divan beds are the best and most comfy beds going. but if you put a duvet on if and a nice headboard you'll not notice their undeniable fustiness. Who cares about trendy when you can sleep soundly 56 hours a week?

Qwebec Tue 04-Aug-15 16:12:03

They are not all ugly, googled divan bed base and even ikea has nice ones.

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Tue 04-Aug-15 23:22:56

You can buy special divan covers in suede etc to make them look less OAP-ish.

ziggyziggy Tue 04-Aug-15 23:25:03

put the mattress on the floor until you can afford a bed frame, divans are horrible and dated!

BumWad Wed 05-Aug-15 04:21:53

I have had so many beds but the divan has always been the best.

I have a gorgeous padded cover on my divan. Let me try and find you a link to something similar.

jollyroger2 Sun 16-Aug-15 22:05:48

Hi ladies, OP here. Thanks for all your comments, and sorry for slow reply. Haven't bought anything yet (we're now away on holiday), but definitely going to buy a divan. Thanks for all your input and swinging it for me!

Follyfoot Sun 16-Aug-15 22:14:51

I remember the manager in the bed department at John Lewis telling me that a divan will always be superior to even the most expensive bed frame. If its decent support and comfort you are after, definitely go for a divan. Lovely as they look a bed frame will never be as comfortable. And as for being 'dated' surely its about getting a good night's sleep?

PS we have a Sealy and it's fab, will be getting another.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Tue 18-Aug-15 10:54:33

We went to a bed factory where they make the divan and mattress on site to your specific requirements.

That meant I could choose the fabric that goes on the divan base, and choose any drawer option I wanted plus what feet to have. They can use your own fabric and do the same.

A 6ft zip and link (we couldn't get a 6ft mattress up the stairs) with divan base was £1k.

PrimalLass Tue 18-Aug-15 13:51:02

I'm trying to break our divan drawers so I can ditch it and get a nice one with an ottoman function. I'd love something like this:

www.time4sleep.co.uk/beds/storage-beds/ottoman-beds/kaydian-walkworth-ottoman-storage-bed-slate-fabric

Katie2001 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:54:11

I have a lovely bed frame with sprung slats on it, together with a pocketspring mattress it's one of the comfiest beds ever, including divans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now