Talk

Advanced search

What kind of paint do I need?

(6 Posts)
liviadrusilla Thu 30-Jul-15 10:32:46

Hello - thanks in advance for any help, my fiancé and I are fairly clueless about decorating!

We recently painted our living and dining rooms in Nutmeg White, using Dulux Once Matt. It looks pretty good, but we have a cat that sneezes and when I wiped the wall clean of her sneeze the paint has come off in little patches. So now we're going to paint the hallway - what type of paint should we use that is wipe clean but still looks good on slightly bumpy walls? Or am I doing something wrong in how I cleaned the wall?

We would also love some colour recommendations if anyone cal help - think we're happy with Nutmeg White for Hallway as it's a bit dark, but very open to other lightish but cosy neutrals which go with NW for other rooms.

Thank you!

KungFuhrer Thu 30-Jul-15 19:13:22

I would use a silk paint, its pretty wipeable. Can you not sand the bumps down?

bobblypop Thu 30-Jul-15 19:19:03

the dilemma is silk will show imperfections in your wall such as bumps more than matt, but matt will show marks and stains more and is not as wipeable.
you could compromise maybe with egg shell?

JammyGeorge Thu 30-Jul-15 19:42:54

I used Matt in my last house the paint wiped off where the kids made mess and the hallway was covered in visible marks and scratches, just from things like carrying the washing basket down the stairs etc.

I am silk in every room in the new place.

Bobbly is right silk doesn't give as good a finish but a year down the line I think it will look better iyswim.

liviadrusilla Fri 31-Jul-15 10:02:31

Thank you everyone, this is my dilemma! So wiping off is a problem for all matt, not just because we lazily used the once coat paint, that's a shame. I had heard there was a problem with eggshell, it's hard to paint over or something? Perhaps I need to do testers in the same colour in different finishes.

wowfudge Sat 01-Aug-15 09:54:59

Dulux or Crown do paint called Endurance which is matt finish and can be wiped down. Designed to be tougher than normal emulsion. You can probably get any colour in that type of paint at a decorator centre. Dulux Trade paints are supposed to be better than their normal ones, though more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now